WD TV Live keeps losing network shares

Just to add a little more info to this whole windows shares discussion that seems to be going on in several threads I experienced something strange in my home network.

I have a simple home network, a MyBookLive NAS, 2 windows 7 PCs, 1 windows 8 laptop and my SMP. I play media from the HDD attached to the SMP as well as media from the NAS and one windows 7 PC. (I also have a Samsung TV and an LG TV that can play media from DNLA servers but I rarely use them).

Like a few other I experienced dropped network issues at random times. I solved this by dropping windows shares and using linux shares exclusively for streaming media. haven’t had any problems in weeks now.

HOWEVER: While browsing for source inputs on my Samsung TV I noticed that the MyBookLive NAS was not listed as a media server. I checked in my WDTV but the MYBookLive was still listed under media servers. I thought it must be the TV. I checked the LG TV, and like the Samsung the MyBookLive was not listed. I checked the windows media players on the 2 windows 7 PCs and like the TVs the MyBookLive was not listed as a media server. I checked the dashboard in the MyBookLive and the media server was operational.

So something happened within the windows network that blocked all the windows PCs and TVs from seeing the MyBookLive as a media server. But the WDTV could still see it and play media from it.

Turning the media server off and then on again in the MyBookLive allowed all machines on the network to again see the MyBookLive media server. For 3 days. Then the same thing happened again. The WDTV SMP could still see the media server, the rest of the network could not. I dont know what this all means except that something seems to be happening to windows networking and that only started recently. To me this issue seems to indicate that it may not be the WDTV firmware that is solely to blame for these networking issues.