WD TV Live has lost all sound

I have been using this very successfully for 2 years.

It has 2 hard drives connected and also networked to server and internet.

Suddenly I have I lost all sound after what I suspect was an automatice software update .

Have tried resetting to factory settings and checked for software downloads. It has the latest version.

Can anyone give me a lead on what has happened or what to try next?

thanks

Rob

fingoon wrote:

Suddenly I have I lost all sound after what I suspect was an automatice software update .

The WDTVs don’t do automatic updates.   All they do is notify of an update – you have to manually tell it to install or not.

How is your system connected?  What’s the audio path?   What’s the audio configuration?   What’s the audio type of the files with no sound?  Are files that previously played before now mute?  etc.

fingoon wrote:

thanks

Rob

Last update for the SMP was 12/10/13 so I doubt that is your issue unless you just manually updated. 

First I would go into “Setup>>Audio Video Output>>Audio Output” and make sure you have the correct options chosen. 

If that does not solve it:

1. What are you using for audio output; HDMI, Composite or S/PDIF (TOSLink)?

2. What are you outputing your A/V to ( Reciever / AVR, Direct to your TV etc?)

Good Luck

-P

Many thanks for your replies.

I have my WDTV Live cabled through a Yamaha RXV375 Amp via HDMI Cables all working great until suddenly NO Sound but great picture.

It is also conected to server and Internet.

My first step was to check the firmware through Set Up, which was the latest according to the web.

Next was to revert to “Factory Settings”.

I have by the way already recieved a response from WD overnight…

They advised to do all the above plus use the reset button on the base of the unit as well as test with another HDMI Cable.

If non of these work they sugest that the unit has probably failed and would require replaceing as warranty has expired last year.

I know there has been some adverse comment about WD response but I can only complement them in my case. Well done WD.

I will update on the outcomes.

Thanks

Rob

Hi,

Well after doing all the tests and cocluding that my unit had dies, I bought a new one only to discover that teh Yamaha Amp was the problem and was dieing sequentially. The HDMI ports were selectively shutting down.

Took my new TV Live back and used the Yamaha warranty to fix.

All happy again.

Thanks for your inputs.

cheers

Rob