WD TV Live and WD MyBook Live setup

Hi,

I have the same setup, i am also new to these devices, had them around 2 weeks.

i have updated my wdtv to latest version but left my my book live on firmware version it came with,

i use my MBL as a straight NAS, this means ive tured off twonky, file sharing, itunes ect, because then

these things are turned on the mbl doesnt powerdown at all, i think were all waiting for the next firmware to hopefully

fix this issue, that said…

1, 99% of my media are ripped to xvid with a file size between 700-1500MB, my device says they are 1.1mbit.

thrus far with a 2 bar wireless signal on my wdtv has not stuttered a single movie. i get a transferre rate via wireless of around 3.5MB stable to my wdtv shared drive from my pc, my router is downstairs and my wdtv is upstairs in my bedroom. The distance is approx 35 feet.

1. once your shares are setup on your mbl (users and shares) you need to enter the videos folder on the wdtv and press the yellow button on the remote, choose network shares and them windows shares, wait for the dashboard to update then choose a folder, if the folder is not public the wdtv will ask for the username and password. You can set up different shares on your mbl like Kids movies, My Movies ect and assign each user read privelidge rights on the mbl, this is where all the user account settings are stored.

2. in my wd tv i have this option set to manual its in settings / operation or system / i forgot the name of it off the top of my head but its above meta data its something like get media info or something. i actually use the list view and i use page down to flick through my lists quickly ( my list is extensive)

3. this is all done with user accounts and shares on your MBL. ( my book live )

hope that helps.