WD TV Live and NFS on Linux

garrett85 wrote:

Also, I think the TV Live wants write access to my files and that’s somethign I’d rather not do. I don’t want the TV Live to be able to remove any of my movie files but I would like it to be able to get and save the image files for each title. Any ideas on how I could accomplish this? I thought some clever link placement might do the trick but I haven’t thought out the details.

I use Samba to do just what you want to accomplish.  I also do not want any device having write permission for my video files/dirs.  I have not tried symlinks with NFS so not sure whether it works (would depend on how server and Live client handles symlinks).  So here is what I have done: I have the video share contain symlinks to the actual video files, with the video share being read-write but the actual video dirs/files have permissions that do not allow the Live to modify/delete them.  Samba requires using options that cause it to serve the linked file rather than the link, plus options that allow it to follow links across drives (my actual video files are spread across multiple drives).

Should be easy to test if symlinks work with NFS:  move one of your video files to another directory, create a symlink in your share dir to that file, then see if the Live can play the linked file.  A few minutes work.