WD TV Live + WD My Cloud

Hi,

I have a WD TV Live SMP (gen 3) and a 3TB My Cloud NAS drive. 

Previously I was using an external USB hard drive for my MKV files, and these are now all stored in the ‘Shared Videos’ folder on the NAS. I’ve followed the instructions given by WD on their ‘learning centre’ - http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=faqs&device=mc&faq=streamHd

Previously, I could go to ‘Videos’, filter to tv show, and all the videos would show complete with data from the scraper. However, when I go to the Videos section on the SMP since changing to the NAS, it seems to get stuck if I try to add a network share, and if I add the content source as ‘media server’, I then get a ton of folders such as ‘Album’, ‘All Videos’, ‘By Date’, By Folder, Personal Rating and Playlists. Oh, and I tried creating a new network share just called ‘Videos’ and putting the files in there, but I still end up with these ridiculous default folders as above.

Is there something obvious I’ve missed? It’s really frustrating me as I would expect the two devices to work together seamlessly but using the NAS is making it MORE difficult that copying files to and from the USB HDD!

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

What do you mean by, it seems to get stuck if I try to add a network share.

Out oif interest those ‘ridiculous’ folders are generated by the media server on the nas and can’t be changed.

That’s what you get if access via the media server route.

richUK wrote:

What do you mean by, it seems to get stuck if I try to add a network share.

Out oif interest those ‘ridiculous’ folders are generated by the media server on the nas and can’t be changed.

That’s what you get if access via the media server route.

It depends on the media server.  On Twonky, for example, the browsing mode can be changed per device.

Twonky offers five different navigation modes:  Mobile, Classic, iPod-Like, Folder, and Advanced.

OK if you don’t want to see those folders go to the twonky media service on the nas.

That’s the address of your mycloud with :9000 added at the end.

eg.  http://192.168.1.129:9000

Go to sharing and then media receivers. Select your WD player and change navigation type to folders, then save changes.

Or you can go to setup and change navigation type globally.

Thanks Tony very useful to know that info.

Did you use the WD media library when you had your original USB hard drive connected?

Thanks for the advice everyone… I would give it a try but the NAS appears to have devloped a fault as I can no longer access the wdmycloud UI via a web browser, and it is no longer detected by Windows.

It’s going back to the store tomorrow and I’ll just stick to the USB HDD for now.