WD TV Live SMP

Dear Forum Members

I am planning to buy the SMP within the next two months, however before jumping in I would like to find out what UK media apps are available on this machine, e.g I know it has the BBC iPlayer but does it have the ITV Player as well?

I mean, there are many online services in the UK, such as Tesco’s Blink Box, Amazon’s Love Films, Channel 5 On Demand, 4OD, plus all the other new TV stations with ODs, all which should be on the SMP (but I am not sure they are).

In other words, I am trying to find out the if there is a comprehensive list of UK apps available for the SMP.

UK Bob

Go to the link below, select ‘online services’ from the top (3rd from left) - ensure that ‘united kingdom’ is selected in country / region box. Thats what you get at the moment - basically iplayer.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Hi Rich

Seems that we UK citizens have a pretty poor selection, apart from six or so apps (including iPlayer), I have never heard of most of them (and I certainly don’t use Facebook).

Is there any chance that Western Digital will release UK TV apps for the SMP?

UK Bob

PS. Simply put, attaching the current SMP will not turn a TV into a Smart.TV.

I am with you on this Bob, it is a pretty poor show in the UK. If I would have known in advance that I could only get the BBC IPlayer, then I would have bought a better product

richthornton wrote:

I am with you on this Bob, it is a pretty poor show in the UK. If I would have known in advance that I could only get the BBC IPlayer, then I would have bought a better product

I agree however you have access to the internet so it does not take long to find out the specifications for most players. The WD player has a page dedicated to what services are available in each region so nothing like this should come as a surprise. There is no such thing as a ‘better’ product only one more suited for your use. The WD player is well suited for playing media on your network / hard drives but less suited for UK services, particularly UK television services.  The roku box has hundreds of services / apps but that does not have all the UK TV services.