WD TV Live SMP power adapter recommendation - Australia

Hi,

The model of my media player is WDBGXT0000NBK-AESN and I’ve been using it off and on for a little over a year when it just stopped working a few days ago.  I isolated the problem to the power adapter.  Seems that several people had the same issue and got a replacement from WD.  Rang them today (connected to a call centre in the US?) and was told that they no longer carry the product,  otherwise he would happily send me a replacement.  Apparently the streaming media players currently available in retail stores here in Oz use a different power adapter to my model. 

For the same specification,  the adapters I’ve found online range in price from A$5 to A$40.  Why the difference in price?  Is anyone able to recommend a reputable make?  My media player is working fine and I don’t want to risk frying it.

Hello mate welcome to the WD Community,

I wont be able to tell you specifically where you can get the adapter close to you. However, the specifications for that adapter are: 12 Volts, 2 Amps and 24 Watts according to our support site.

I’ll have to say that the difference on the price will be depending on the brand and the seller of the adapter.

Hello ERmorel,

Thanks for your welcome and response.

Actually,  the label on the power adapter says Output 12V DC 1.5A  [Model No: WA-18G12N].

During my search,  I came across posts which says the Amperage can exceed mine but not less.  Would you be able to confirm that?

gjabba wrote:

During my search,  I came across posts which says the Amperage can exceed mine but not less.  Would you be able to confirm that?

That’s correct.

More amperage eg. 2A  is fine (and should run cooler)   …  less the 1.5A = BAD … power supply will run Hot, and eventually possibly burn out.

Also, whatever you get … make sure the “tip” +  is positive

1 Like

Just tidying this thread. 

Thanks to Hamlet,  I was contacted by WD who offered to replace my power adapter.  Very pleased about that! 

Thanks,  WD! 

that’s great to hear :smiley: