WD TV Live SMP Update to Firmware v2.02.32 Ruins "My Media Library"

Hello,

I updated my WD TV Live SMP to the v2.02.32 firmware when I was prompted to update and when I added a movie it recompiled my media library and it is displaying less movies than before.

After adding the new movie I should have 780 movies but the media library is reporting only 768 now after the update.

I have forced the media library to clear and rebuild, I have factory reset the unit and rebuilt the media library, I even reformatted my external HDD and then put a fresh copy of all the movies and albums on it to make sure there was no issues with MFT records and the like on my NTFS partition.

I cannot get the latest firmware to correctly build a media library of ALL my content.

Worse still, when I tell my WD TV to use “Local Storage” instead of “My Media Library” it refuses and simply insists on showing me the incomplete media library.

I have found that rolling back to firmware 2.01.86 and rebuilding my media library works and once again I see all 780 movies. If I build the media library in v2.01.86 and then upgrade to v2.02.32 this works until I add a file on the USB (over the network as network share) and then the media library compiles again and the result is once again the incomplete media library.

I am rolling back to firmware v2.01.86 because it is the only firmware that shows me all my videos, and turning off Auto update until someone can advise me that there has been a fix applied and a new version firmware that fixes this issue.

Oh by the way, I have 2x WD TV Live SMPs and I can confirm this issue happening on BOTH units (PAL Australian Units) and it is definitely a result of the firmware update.

Fix this [Deleted] please!!!

HDizzle:   If any of your movies are MP4, there’s been several reports of MP4 movies being classified and listed under MUSIC instead of VIDEO.

If you have the time and willingness, you might check if that is what’s happening just to see if it’s the same bug or something different.

Hi Tony,

Both my units have been reverted to previous firmware and rebuilt my library etc.

However now you say that I did notice an observation of an extra album in the music library once? And I did actually notice a few more albums another time (68x instead of 674 from memory) so there is a potential likely hood that that is occuring.

I do however have a ton of .mp4 files so it would only be a certain few that are causing an issue not all .mp4 files if this was happening.

HDizzle wrote:

… so it would only be a certain few that are causing an issue not all .mp4 files if this was happening.

Exactly the same as others have said… “Some, not all…”

…and it has my curiosity piqued as to what about those MP4s make the system think they’re music  – perhaps some header metadata or something.

MP4 is a vague file extension…  it can be audio or video… no way to tell just by the name.

And that has me curious if the same thing would happen if the filename was .m4v (MP4 Video) instead of .mp4.

Doesn’t appear to effect .m4v, part of my troubleshooting attempts was to see if any obscure extensions were being dropped, both my .m4v files were in the library, but that’s not to say there could be a type of .m4v that gets dropped as others have mentioned only some .mp4s effected. Really dislike when a new firmware breaks things! Had my first WD TV live box for 2 years now, bought the second recently then they do this :frowning:

Hi tony, i have the same issue, is there some diagnositic info which would be useful in finding the cause? I have access to a linux pc which i can run some diag tools on if you tell what you would like.

I get about 3 in a hundred MP4 videos now coming up under Music (that were certainly playbale as movies in the past).

This is probably linked to the other bug found already where some MP4s under Video wont play that used to, not the usualy “unknown format” but it tries, whirs processing circle arrow around for a few seconds then silently gives up.

darkstar wrote:
Hi tony, i have the same issue, is there some diagnositic info which would be useful in finding the cause? I have access to a linux pc which i can run some diag tools on if you tell what you would like.

I use AtomicParsley for looking at or changing metadata atoms.

Particularly, this build:   https://bitbucket.org/wez/atomicparsley/overview

you could try

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

It has a reasonably straight forward GUI and I have always used that to batch edit my mp3 audio collection but it does work with mp4s too, video or audio. Allows you to edit all tags as well as embed thumbnails etc.

I have nothing but MP4 video files.  I am only able to see about a third of my content using my media library.  All of my files are uniform in nature, so it should be an all or none thing.  But like I said, a third of the files do not populate under the “My media Library” - very frustrating.  Tried to factory reset, clear media cache, restarted Network storage, cleared all metathumb and XML files from network storage, to no avail.  In fact every time I tried something new,the media library populates even less files. 

If I just view the files outside of my media library and poplate them via Network share, all the files show up, and I have no problem playing them.

Please fix this Firmware version soon, as this is a deal breaker for WD going forward.

when you say they dont appear in my medi library, have you looked under music, maybe they are there? just a though.

Yes, as a matter of fact, all of the missing files are under “My Media Library” in the music section.  I have even reverted back to Firmware 2.01.86, and still getting the same issues.  What can I do?

Hey mediajunky500, after you revert to v2.01.86 you need to “clear media library” and this will automatically rebuild the SQLite media library database correctly this time for you. No one should upgrade to v2.02.32 unless they want videos absent from their movie library.

That did the trick.  I had to re-build the entire media library and clear the cache several times, but it worked. 

Re-Cap:

Roll back the firmware, Reset to factory defaults, re-build My Media Library (folder by folder), clear cache and rescan each folder.  That worked.

Thanks for the input

Glad you solved your problems! Even under the older firmware I used to find some of my folders containing video mp4s were listed under Music, even though selecting them under Music would give the message of no media to play. Clearing the media library would remove these extraneous entries but others crop up in time. If you add/delete stuuf to your library often it doesn’t hurt to clear the media library periodically and let the box rescan.

5 months no fix!!! (New firmware) What the haychell is going on???

Hi guys,

I removed some posts that were not relevant to the thread, please keep it friendly.

I thought those posts were extremely relevant, they responded to my question telling me that WD has not released an update and cannot tell anyone when/if they intend to do so.

I think you should stop censoring people in an attempt to hide the fact that you are poorly treating customers…just sayin’

HDizzle wrote:

I thought those posts were extremely relevant, they responded to my question telling me that WD has not released an update and cannot tell anyone when/if they intend to do so.

I think you should stop censoring people in an attempt to hide the fact that you are poorly treating customers…just sayin’

The posts that were removed were directed at “posters”, this had nothing to do with what you had stated. You can freely continue to discuss the subject as long as it follows the community guidelines:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/New-to-WD-Community/WD-Community-Usage-Guidelines/td-p/6

Hello am I correct in assuming that they ill not be fixing this? Seems like no new firmware is forth coming? Given I bought it new less than a year ago, I am going to keep sending my unit under warranty until it is fixed driving up a huge shipping bill for you. Thanks.