WD TV Live - Pre-Purchase Questions

Family has a 10yr old DVD player and well, time for an upgrade. I have a media server running but, for the rest of the house they just have a DVD Player that has DivX and that’s it. I wanted to share my library, but an HTPC would be too confusing for them.

I decided the WD TV Live would probably be the best cheapest solution, I liked the WD TV Play, but apparently not as many codecs and no DTS (which was the main issue).

I plan to get them the player, and probably a 500GB external drive to keep plugged in. Though wondered…

1. If I plug in a USB stick into the front to watch a movie, can I transfer that file to the 500GB drive plugged in the back? or do I have to disconnect the 500GB drive and attach to a computer everytime I want to transfer files to it?

2. My media player runs on Win7x64, I assume I can network to my library on my PC. Can I copy through WiFi files from the library to the 500GB? Also when shared can I lock it so it’s read-only so they don’t wipe my stuff out?

3. My media player runs XBMC. It’s great because it scrapes info from online so when I look through my file list I get movie posters for each movie, the cast, write up, etc… does the WD TV Live do anything like that?

Reviews and such seem to miss this information…

1. yes you can, copy/move/delete from and to any drives from the USB.
  2. yes indeed
  3. yes the WD has built in scraping, thou limited compared to using a client like thumbgen to pre-scrape.

Nothing better than getting a quick reply that answers the questions. 

Sometimes you post in a forum and you get replies that don’t answer a thing. :smiley:

Thanks for the info… time to replace a 10yr old DVD Player. :smiley:

Actually 1 more question

Will the WD TV Live work with an external DVD drive? 

and… USB or externally powered?

No, it won’t work with USB-based DVD drives.

Ah well, time they copied stuff to MP4 like I did anyways. :smiley: