WD TV Live Playlist Issue from Media PC

I can individually play albums or songs through the TV Live unit (and see videos or pictures).  However, I cannot get a playslist to work.  The TV Live unit sees the list, but it does not play any songs listed in the playlist.  I created .m3u playslists and made them relative, but the TV Live unit sees but does not play the contents of the playlist.  I reviewed several posts but nothing listed there worked and most were from 2010.  I am either misunderstanding the answers or doing something else wrong.

Also, I want to stream the music files (most in .wma) from the PC to the device.  I do not want to make a copy to an external drive and connect it to the TV Live unit because I then have to maintain two copies of things and buy another drive.  I just need the playlist feature to work.  Any help to get teh playslists playing would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Please post the first 10-20 lines of your playlist file.

Sampling of the list I tried to create for Christmas music is below.  I have all my music in a ‘music’ folder on the media pc drive.  This is in a ‘playlist’ folder on the same level as the music folders which are the artists.

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:275,Sax Christmas Instrumental - 8 - Good King Wenceslas
…\Lifescapes\Sax Christmas Instrumental\08 Good King Wenceslas.wma
#EXTINF:215,Christmas is all in the heart - 10 - O Come O Come Emmanuel
…\Steven Curtis Chapman\Christmas is all in the heart\10 O Come O Come Emmanuel.wma
#EXTINF:245,Christmas With the Stars: 1996 - 5 - Silent Night
…\Various Artists\Christmas With the Stars- 1996\05 Silent Night.wma
#EXTINF:209,A Family Christmas - 1 - Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
…\John Tesh\A Family Christmas\01 Hark! The Herald Angels Sing.wma
#EXTINF:205,Sax Christmas Instrumental - 12 - O Come All Ye Faithful
…\Lifescapes\Sax Christmas Instrumental\12 O Come All Ye Faithful.wma
#EXTINF:141,Holiday Piano - 1 - I Saw Three Ships
…\Lorie Line\Holiday Piano\01 I Saw Three Ships.wma
#EXTINF:154,Holiday Break - 5 - Up on the House Top
…\Various Artists\HOLIDAY BREAK\05 Up On The House Top.wma
#EXTINF:75,Celebrating With Coca Cola: Holiday Gifts - 7 - Chinese Dance
…\Various Artists\Celebrating With Coca Cola- Holiday Gifts\07 Chinese Dance.wma
#EXTINF:250,Wrangler Cowboy Christmas VIII - 3 - Til The Season Comes Around Again
…\Various Artists\Wrangler Cowboy Christmas VIII\03 Til The Season Comes Around Again.wma
#EXTINF:208,Hallmark Christmas Collection - 5 - O Come, All Ye Faithful
…\George Strait\20th Century Masters - The Christmas Collection\05 Santa’s on His Way.wma
#EXTINF:482,Celebrating With Coca Cola: Holiday Gifts - 2 - Exit of Guests/Night
…\Various Artists\Celebrating With Coca Cola- Holiday Gifts\02 Exit of Guests-Night.wma
#EXTINF:299,Holiday Jazz Favorites - 1 - Joy to the World
…\Moore by Four\Holiday Jazz Favorites\01 Joy to the World.wma
#EXTINF:243,Holiday Piano - 6 - We Three Kings
…\Lorie Line\Holiday Piano\06 We Three Kings.wma
#EXTINF:206,A Family Christmas - 11 - O Tannenbaum (Oh Christmas Tree)
…\John Tesh\A Family Christmas\11 O Tannenbaum (Oh Christmas Tree).wma
#EXTINF:210,Christmas is all in the heart - 5 - Go Tell It On The Mountain
…\Steven Curtis Chapman\Christmas is all in the heart\05 Go Tell It On The Mountain.wma
#EXTINF:181,A Family Christmas - 8 - Good Christian Men, Rejoice
…\John Tesh\A Family Christmas\08 Good Christian Men, Rejoice.wma
#EXTINF:282,Christmas Wish - 5 - The First Noel
…\Various Artists\Christmas Wish\05 The First Noel.wma
#EXTINF:191,Christmas Wish - 6 - Christmas Lullaby
…\Various Artists\Christmas Wish\06 Christmas Lullaby.wma

Use playlist creator (free)

http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

I used that link to oddgravity for Playlist Creator to generate the playlist.  I still have the issue of it not playing from my media PC.  I figure there is some detail I am not doing right still.

How are you accessing the playlist?    Via a Network Share?  or Media Server?

I was using the media server selection.

Ahh.  Well, you’ll need to check if your media server is capable of interpreting those playlists.

Or, just try using a network share instead.

I can play the playslists on all other PCs on the network.

I will have to look at the network share option.  But everything else worked through media center.

Did you notice anything in the post of the playlist?

I see what’s wrong

your playlist

…\blahblah\file.mp3

but WD is linux based

needs to be …/blahblah/file.mp3

using fwd slashes

KAD79 wrote:

I see what’s wrong

your playlist

…\blahblah\file.mp3

but WD is linux based

using fwd slashes

That should not be it as my playlists have back slashes.

So is it a slash direction issue?  That would be both aggravating and a relief at the same time.

Are the files being .wma an issue?  My media PC is also using Windows 8 Pro.  However, WD did not state that to be an issue when I spoke with them today.

Thanks for responses thus far.  Hopefully someone can resolve this for me.

KAD79 wrote:

I see what’s wrong

your playlist

…\blahblah\file.mp3

but WD is linux based

using fwd slashes

It can matter when accessing the file directly, but shouldn’t matter when using DLNA.   When using DLNA, the WD never actually sees the raw M3U playlist.   The DLNA server does all the processing of the playlist internally and just sends the DLNA client a list of tracks in DLNA-format (no longer M3U)…  Just like a folder.

Tony is correct

if accessing the files either on a local hdd, smb, nfs   slashes will make matter

but via DNLA it should not make a difference

Can you play these WMA files on your WD player if you access them directly without using a playlist?

What media server are you using and how do you see the playlists on the WD player?

As to the forward / back slash thing, my play lists all have back slashes and all play fine via network shares from my nas.

Yes, I can play the music files individually through the TV Live unit.  It just will not do playlists for some reason.  The media server is connected on my home network and called a generic ‘MEDIASERVER’ for all other devices to access.  It is a Windows 8 Pro PC.

ok, I’ll admit I dont use playlist much

the old live liveplus

had the fwd slash requirement

maybe the SMP actually suports both

OK.  WD tech support lvl 2 determined I needed to RMA the unit.  I received the new unit and installed it.  I even used the new power connection.  Everything is set up.  I access the media PC and it sees it and other PCs on the network.  However, no folders are found in music, photos, or video on the media PC.  It finds them on other PCs, but not this one.  The media PC is Windows 8 Pro but I could ask them with teh RMA’d unit (just had the playlist isue).

What would prevent the contents from being accessed?  I shared these with ‘everyone’ on teh media PC.  Any ideas?  This was a piece of cake initially until I tried to do the playlists and then all **bleep** broke loose.

An update with the new unit in service.  The device accessed the Media PC only after the HO(MEGROUP was set to allow sharing to it.  This was my last hope to access the files and it worked.  I am not sure why HOMEGROUP has to be actively sharing to the WDTV Live, but that is what enabled me to access the information.

I can access all teh music, photos, and videos.  However, playlists still do not function.  And, one unusually thing is that if I try to play a playlist, the unit will time out and say the source (which worked a minute before playing a song from a selected album, for example) is no longer available and the unit asks if I want to switch sources.  I have to ‘restart’ the unit completely to re-access the song that was just playing before I tried to play a playlist.  Very odd it messes the unit up like that.

I still need help with playlists using teh TV Live unit from a media PC.  I tried network share, but the system does not accept the user/password that should work.  So, I am not sure what I am doing wrong for Network Share instead of Media Share.

I just played with playlists last night and got them to work, here is what I did.  I set up all my music files on my z drive.  Z: music.  Then each artist has a sub folder Z:music/beatles.  Then there are subfolders for albums.  z:music/beatles/white album.  (no idea on the actual / direction, but just to give you the idea.

Then in iTunes I had it find all the music.  Then I created a playlist in itunes (Classic Rock) and exported that playlist (as m3u I think).  SMP still no likey.  So I did the playlist program mentioned earlier.  The third button down lets import a play list so I imported the classic rock playlist and saved it as the default (.pls or whatever that program has set as default.  I saved that playlist (Classic Rock2 though you could use the same classic rock name since your other playlist isnt on the z drive or you can go back and delete the m3u file after) in the z:music folder (the box 1 up from the bottom I think?).  Then that playlist worked.

so create playlist in itunes, use playlist program from first page of thread, import itunes playlist save as default file type.