WD TV Live Media Player: Should the Information Bar be turned off by the User?

Watching a flick, every time I click on the Pause/Play the Information Bar appears. One third of the screen (up to half, because of ‘fog’ of this Information Bar) is not viewable. I have to press on the OK-button to turn it off.

Seeing the Information Bar  is circumstantial, because I want to enjoy the freeze image. When I want to watch single images I have to click very often the Pause/Play. It causes trouble when I have to see the Information Bar every time.

Why does the Information Bar appear every time I press the Pause/Play? The user should have the possibility to turn off this Information Bar totally that it never appears when clicking on Pause/Play. It is suffice when the Information Bar apppears every time I click the OK-button.

Therefore, I did a proposal to WD that the user should decide whether he wants to see the bar or not, when cklicking on Pause/Play button. This could be controlled in the system user individually. WD responded to my proposal and has said that in a future regarding a firmware update this property could be taken into account provided some users support my suggestion!

Please support my suggestion: It is simple. Just follow this link. In the next window please click on the arrow that points up. Your oppinion is counted, then.

Thank you very, very much for your help!!! I would be really thrilled!

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this information. 

1 Like

It would be great if you could turn this partially useless information bar off.

At the BD players from Panasonic this feature had been established for a long time! For example at the DMP-BDT 221 EG from Panasonic. It is much nicer to be able to watch the freeze images without this annoying info bar.

Western Digital, please do something!

You can disable the “infobar” with a simple xml theme edit …

Here is a 100% no video overlays theme (No status bar,loading icon,subtitlte,audio,ff,rew,play etc)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bhtyjaaw3xa0f7h/NoVideoOverlays.zip

To install the theme, download the zip file to your PC, open your web browser (I don’t recommend using IE8 or 9, there have been issues), then type your SMP’s IP address to open the Web UI.   Type in your password (the default is “admin”), click on the box next to “I accept” and then click on LOGIN, then click on “Appearance”, then click on “Browse” and navigate to where you saved the “NoVideoOverlays.zip” file, then click on “Open”.

Click on “Submit”, then once the Web UI finishes uploading the theme, on you SMP press “Setup” on your remote, select “Appearance”, then select “User Interface Themes”, select “NoVideoOverlays” then when prompted select “Apply theme”.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your answer.

Did you test it? What happened if the user wants to see the elapsed time on the information bar when clicking on OK-Button? If the information bar is turned off the user has no possibility to see the elapsed time.

Your interesting answer has led me to rethink my 1st post: The user should have the possibility to decide if he wants to see the information bar when clicking on Pause/Play-Button or not. If in doubt the information bar should be turned off at this point totally. It is sufficient when the user sees the information bar when he clicks on the OK-Button. I believe this is a good solution.

Thanks again for your answer.

I would be very glad to get some more ‘support-points’. Thanks to all who supported my suggestion! :slight_smile:

Oliver59 wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer.

Did you test it? What happened if the user wants to see the elapsed time on the information bar when clicking on OK-Button? If the information bar is turned off the user has no possibility to see the elapsed time.

Yep, i did test it … it’s a “remove everything mod” … but if you want to see the elapsed time, then that’s easy to modify and put back in.

you can modify the video_run.xml to your hearts content to suit your needs.

6th Post down explains all the elements of the video_run.xml and how they work

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Why-does-the-info-bar-show-up-after-pause/m-p/704772#M29662

while you’re waiting for WD to implement your idea (which could be a long time… or never)  feel free to have a tinker.

I don’t have any experience in ‘tinking’. A problem is I have the German version of the Media Player. What happens if something gets wrong? Is my warranty affected?

I don’t know if I’m able to modify the Media Player. You are right, it maybe needs time for WD to implement a change, maybe too much time and it would be good to get a solution now.

It would be nice to get an example by video, but I think it is too much asking for a video uploaded at youtube, or?

Oliver59 wrote:

I don’t have any experience in ‘tinking’. A problem is I have the German version of the Media Player. What happens if something gets wrong? Is my warranty affected?

Theme “Tinkering” does not effect or Void your Warranty