WD TV Live GEN3 is freezing randomly

Hello,

My WD TV Live is freezing randomly, hard reset is nesecary to reboot. this never happened since I bought it. Latest FW is installed??  movie is freezing from USB HDD aswel as through network streaming.

Any other people who are having this??

Same is happening to me. Twice last night during the same movie. It would freeze and become completely unresponsive, then woul fast forward and not respond to inputs. Only resolution was to manually unplug the player and start over.

wxppf wrote:

Hello,

My WD TV Live is freezing randomly, hard reset is nesecary to reboot. this never happened since I bought it. Latest FW is installed??  movie is freezing from USB HDD aswel as through network streaming.

Any other people who are having this??

What I also notice is that the timer (while playing a movie), is not counting every second… it slow’s down, then rapidly skips a second  and so on…

The problem is rather new… all was working 100% for almost 2 years, now all of a sudden the freezing starts??

Test your files , maybe corrupt…

files are ok, movie(s) don’t stop always on the same spot, sometimes the movie plays well tilll the end, the next time that same movie suddenly freezes, and the wdtv live can’t be controlled anymore with the remote.

might be an overheating issue???  just an idea??

I have been using my WDTV Live for over a year with no issues but since the last firmware update it happens randomly after we have been watching a movie for some time.

A powercycle gets me back working but it wil happen again after some time.

I am an IT Manager and its not the NAS, cabling, switch or movie files.

It seems like the same problem I have playing from my WD USB HDD. I can start watching a movei and after maybe 45min WD TV shuts down and after a few minutes restart. After that it will do it after 15 min or less.

I have tried both the front and back usb port, with same result. It is not the files, since it not happening at the same time every time, and it also does it with files that I earlier had no problems with from start to end.

It seems like may have the same problem and I have read a LOT of thread without finding a solution, can anybody help me or should i throw it out with the trash and get another player like Appel TV or what else i can find on the market, because this driving me insane?

Yesterday I did a FW rollback to 1.13, watched 3 movies in a row… only at the end of 3rd movie, there was a glitch that ruined my movie evening. seems like the rollback did something, but not yet 100%

Could the device be overheating?

device feels warm but not really hot

It might be overheating, but then is the question why it suddenly would do that after working without problems for 4 months?

Hi,

i bought the box last week, i did a soft upgrade, and have the same problem,

freeze, black screen, after reset it’s ok.

Box is not overheating

should i go back to the store to change the box, or is it a known soft issue ?

Grtz

I’m not saying it’s a known issue. I have two gen 3s on latest firmware, none of which freezes. If you’re sure it’s since the update, do a rollback and see if it still happens.

until 1.15 I never noticed this problem… it all started at 1.16… now I rolled back to 1.13 And watched 3 movies in a row without interuption

Where do I find 1.13? I have tried but seems like I look thw wrong plces…

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

direct link

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/Rollback_wdtvgen3_release_1.13.18.zip

I also have this problem… Posted here (with full details):

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issues/Regular-Freeze-During-Playback/idi-p/702760

Have you been using YouTube?

YouTube has a memory leak which results in poor performance and slow downs of the SMP.

See this post for a workaround:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/slow-menus-and-having-to-pull-the-plug-to-fix/td-p/684133

mine does it too, at any time. often it freezes when i turn it on from “standby”, also seems to do it more when there is a usb hdd plugged in.