WD TV Live 1.05.18 Update - NFS Network Media Library Search Function missing for one device?!

Hi all,

I have 2x WD TV Live devices on the latest 1.05.18 firmware. I updated one of the devices two nights ago and was thoroughly pleased with the new features. Most importantly, being able to apply a media library to a NFS network shared folder on my Synology 1511+ NAS.

This includes all search functions (with the green filter button showing on the folder/file views) and being able to access the dashboard and access other features and filtering there and/or use the search button on the remote or the new iPhone remote application.

Problem:

My issue though, is that I updated the unit downstairs and I have no green filter icon, I press the search button and nothing happens, but I can access the dashboard and see recently added files etc.

Both units had IDENTICAL settings (except for device name and NAS login name).

Both are pointed to the same NFS share (Linux Network Share) location.

Both have read/write access / on the same Workgroup.

Both were power cycled after the firmware update.

Both have media library ON.

Both can see and view all content (though the culprit unit, when i drill down into the DVD folder still has the ‘@eaDir’ folder as the first ‘DVD’ visible - this has dissapeared on the upstairs device after the update).

The downstairs/culprit unit still has the original file names showing - as opposed to the TMDB files names.

The downstairs unit is still also showing the .iso extensions after the descriptions (and it hasn’t ‘amended’ all of my movies and added the ‘The’ to the start of them and thus sorted them so that I have basically half of my library under ‘T’ - This happened to the upstairs/working unitl, but I no longer care as I can search and find the file I want anyway).

Trialed Solution:

I ended up doing a factory reset on the downstairs unit and re-linking and re-plugging in my access details, but this has made no difference. Still no search feature and it’s strange that the two units haven’t updated and worked identically.

I am hoping there’s a really obvious/easy thing I have blatantly missed as I’m baffled atm.

Any and all advice welcomed.

Well, the problem is that they’re going to corrupt each others’ databases.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Two-or-more-Hubs-or-SMPs-will-cause-Media-Library-Corruption-on/idi-p/296230

Is there directions for this operation? I have a 8tb share that I would like in a media library for seach but the media library on the server doe snot support dvd layouts with .vob files or BR layouts.

Hi again Tony,

Thanks for the link. Makes some, but not complete sense (As I don’t know how to achieve the result via the process/fix explained).

I’ve added my 2c worth to the post - check it out please.

If you can provide any more help/assistance that would be hugely appreciated.

The workaround I described in that post is no longer valid.   It won’t work with this version of firmware.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

I managed (don’t ask me how) to get the search function working on both units.

I had one pointed to the over-all file share with all of the sub-folders [Upstairs] (Movies/TV shows/Music Videos etc) and the other unit [downstairs] pointed at one of the sub-folders (Movies). It didn’t work initially, but 24 hours later the search function suddenly ‘appeared’, and was working fantastically.

Since adding more movies though the search function has suddenly dissapeard off the downstairs device and has reverted back to showing all of the actual files names as opposed to the tmdb.com .metadata/.xml file names.

I have tried clearing the libraries off both devices (though think this is fickle is they are writing to the same spot) and rebooting, leaving for 24 hours etc…  the Upstairs device works fine [pointed to the highest folder] but the downstairs unit is buggered.

I really can’t understand why this is an issue and why WD haven’t thought this out or factored in the fact that people will have more than one device working on the same network and wanting to access the same library.

Any step-by-step guide to a solution for this would be HUGELY appreciated.

Ok. I think I found the issue.

My unit upstairs is pointed at the overall NAS directory. So, the NFS is set up and the IP assigned to the NAS is 192.168.1.110. When configuring the network settings, the upstairs unit is set to this and I created a media file share pointed to all of the folders.

The downstairs unit, which only needs to see the movie folder and not the rest of the sun folders such as TV shows etc, I added a media share pointed to just the location ‘DVDs’. This is the main bit… DO NOT also point the second unit to the NFS network IP! Only have the second unit pointed to a media share library. The search function and everything else works flawlessly.

The only thing I find not working as I had expected is the library update. I can add a movie from my computer to the NAS and although the WD’s are set to ‘update in stand-by’ the new movies never appear without me manually doing it from the WD. Also I have noticed that a movie added to the NAS will still not be added to the WD library unless its been on the NAS for 24 hours. If i add a movie and then refresh the library say half an hour later, that new movie is not there at all. Any ideas?

This issue is stopping me from buying 2 more SMP’s.

I already have one and one of the older WDTV Live versions (running custom firmware as I need NFS) and they are both working fine.

I am extremely reluctant to buy another SMP until I know that they will not corrupt databases and will work correctly.

Why not introduce different states, i.e; Master, Slave, so that you have 1 main SMP unit and the other(s) acts like a terminal in some way from the first, at the end of the day they are all probably looking to view the same files. I have no idea if that is technically feasible but it sounds sort of logical to me.

As said above if we know this will work what I would call “properly” then I will be buying 2 more SMP’s - Come on WD this is costing you money.

Agreed.  This device would be perfect for every TV in the house (all five of them), but not with this issue.

The latest firmware update that came out a few days ago completely solved this issue.

I connected both devices to the NFS network. After they had build the library, then switched them to both point to the over all library location. Search function and everything works perfectly. No longer waiting for the libraries to update (and corrupt) every time I turn the units on.

In fact… I’d be inclined to say that they are as close to perfect as I could wish.

Thank you WD for patching the units so quickly and effectively!