WD TV HD Media Player to become wireless

I have purchased a WD TV HD Media Player. The question is how to transform my device into a wireless one. In other words, is there an external device I can attach to my WD TV HD Media Player, to make it perform as the WD TV Live which I know is wireless.

KnowAndManage wrote:

I have purchased a WD TV HD Media Player. The question is how to transform my device into a wireless one. In other words, is there an external device I can attach to my WD TV HD Media Player, to make it perform as the WD TV Live which I know is wireless.

There are numerous USB dongels that work to allow the WDTV Live HD to be wireless but be carefull not all are compatible. There is a list of dongles that work on the WDTV Live HD Forum. I use a Buffalo WLI-UC-GN which is N speed.

Edit: I stand corrected. There isn’t a wireless option for the WDTV HD. I missread and thought you had the Live version.

KnowAndManage wrote:

I have purchased a WD TV HD Media Player. The question is how to transform my device into a wireless one.

You can’t.  The WDTV HD has no network capabilities at all; wireless or otherwise.

Supposedly, WDLXTV adds this capability in “hacked” firmware, so you could go check there…

Thr help request was about WD TV HD and not about WDTV Live HD.

Yes, and Tony’s answer stands.

There is nothing you can do with a stock Gen1 or Gen2 WDTV to get it to network.

The b-rad third-party firmwares apparently included beta support for _ some _ wireless adaptors.

If you installed the WDLXTV firmware, and if you could still find one of the adaptors that was beta-supported, you might get it to work.  But, being beta, even that can be hit-and-miss.

If you did try it, you’d have to get help from b-rad and his WDLXTV site, in terms of what adaptors might be supported and how to get it to more-or-less work.