WD Live does not find NFS content or firmware updates

I have just purchased at WD Live SMP.

I can access the web browser UI, and in fact I’m using it right now to test my system.

I have tested my Internet connection using the Settings → Network menu item, and it’s fine.

I can access Netflix and Accuweather.

Two problems, however:

1. I cannot download firmware updates; when I try, I get an error message about a problem connecting to the Internet.

2. I cannot access my NFS folders that are resident on my Linux computer. These network folders are visible on at least one other machine. When I attempt to access the NFS folders,  I am able to see the IP address of the computer wiith the shared folder. Afer I select it, I get the error message “Unable to connect to the selected source.” I could understsand a requets for a login and password, for example, but the NFS folders are set to rw, no_root_squash, and as such should be easily accessible.

These two problems are probably connected in some fashion, but I can’t figure it out.

I’d like specific instructions on how to configure NFS better, or work around the apparent problem on WD Live SMP.

In case anyone is curious, all machines are in the same /24 subnet, and NFS is set to share across the wider /16 subnet.

1 Like
  1. Do you have firewall rules on your router preventing access to the servers?

2.  Make sure your NFS export allows the IP address of your WDTV.

1 Like

Tony,

Thanks for the advice.

The problem with NFS shares vanished when I managed to upgrade the firmware from version 1.01.x to 1.10.x (yes, as you stated elsewhere, *nine* major versions behind on an obstensively new device).

Just for the record, my firewall is strict but fair and the rules did not prevent downloads; the NFS export was set up across the entire local network.

I very much appreciate your help. My initial experience with WD was nothing short of exaspertating, but a friendly answer such as yours makes all the difference.

Glad I could help.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

1.  Make sure your NFS export allows the IP address of your WDTV.

How do you make this work?  Do you have to make the WDTV use a static IP address?

kneighbour wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

2.  Make sure your NFS export allows the IP address of your WDTV.

How do you make this work?  Do you have to make the WDTV use a static IP address?

I’m sorry, are you asking me?   If so, how do you make WHAT work?  My answers you quoted were specific to the OP’s question (which, incidentally, was resolved in another thread.)

On the chance that you’re asking about the NFS share – no, you do not need a static IP. On a sescure   network, you can make the NFS share available to any computer on that network by using, e.g.,

/share_this 10.1.6.0/255.255.255.0(rw,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check

in /etc/exports, and that will make the share available to any computer with the IP address 10.1.6.x. Presumably I don’t have to remind you to use the correct IP address for you network, etc.