WD Live Tv Questions

Hi I have a few questions on the WD live TV. Or WD TV Play.

1: Can you plug it into a TV with hdmi .

2: Will it play divx mkv h264 xvid from a USB drive.

3: Will it support 5.1 sound from the optical connection.

4: Can in work with no internet connection just to be used to play different format movies from a USB passport drive out to a TV.

5: My plan is to plug the WD live TV into a amp with hdmi and then plug the optical into the same amp and then just choose that connection from the amp to put it out to the TV. The amp has 5 HDMI inputs with one HDMI out going to the TV.

I am looking at this for a customer thats needs a solution.

Thank You

1. Yes.

2. It depends.

3. In general, yes.

4. Yes.

5. Unless I’m not understanding your purpose, there should be no need for the optical connection.  Audio would go over HDMI.

Hi thank you TonyPh12345 . The amp is a Onkyo one with 7.1 speakers so we want the audio to come out over those speakers Hdmi wont carry audio to the speakers you have to use a coaxial or optical connection to the amp that matches the hdmi port wierd setup but it works OK. Now on question 2 what does it depend on or does it not cover all formats. Is there a different solution to the one I am trying. Also I looked up the specs and it says the usb is usb out would it not need a usb in to run a passport drive. 

Hammey wrote:

Hdmi wont carry audio to the speakers you have to use a coaxial or optical connection to the amp

That’s indeed the weirdest thing I’ve ever heard.

Hammey wrote:

what does it depend on or does it not cover all formats. 

No media player covers all formats.   The formats / profiles / containers must match what are listed in the specifications.

I don’t know what’s meant by “USB Out or In” because all USBs are both.    But it’s intended to connect external storage like a passport drive.

1 Like

Hi Thank You TonyPh12345 yes on the amp it is what is called a hdmi pass through only for video no audio. You have cleared up all of my questions, now I will go buy one and play with it LOL before I get one for my customer.

and regarding the hdmi and optical

SMP should be able to do that

in settings → audio → digital out via optical only