WD HD media streamer won't stream HD content

Hey all, interesting problem.  I just bought a WD TV Live for a TV upstairs, I’ll refer to this as the new player.  I have a WD TV Live Plus connected to a TV downstairs with 2 external HD’s, old player.  The goal is to keep the old player downstairs and access the content via my home network upstairs.

I have a DLink 825 router running my home network.  The  old player is connected via cable, the new player upstairs via wireless, 2 laptops wireless, and finally a Wii wireless.  The network is configured as 2.4 Ghz WPA2 + AEC n and g (for the Wii) and the 5 Ghz as WPA2+AEC n only.  Both are configured with 20Mhz wide channels per the recommendation in the manual.

Here’s where it gets interesting.  I can stream content on the new player fine from You Tube and Netflix. Both of my laptops see both media players fine and can stream HD content from a HD connected to either just fine, no stuttering or buffering issues.  I can stream content on the old player off of a HD connected to the new player as well.  When I try to stream content on the new new player off of HD’s connected to the downstairs old player, it just doesn’t work.  buffers for 30 sec to a min then plays 5-10 sec then buffers again.

I’ve tried various file types (AVI, MKV, IFO, MP4) doesn’t seem to matter.  Seems I can stream content off the new media player but not the other way around. I have not upgraded to the new firmware as there seems to be significant issues with it.  Below are player specs:

Old Player - WD TV Live Plus

MN - WDBABX0000NBK

Firmware - 1.06.42_B

New Player - WD TV Live (one with issues)

MN - WDBHG7000NBK

Firmware - 1.16.13

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hello Damian416, if the WDTV Live Streaming is getting a low wireless signal, it might not be possible to stream high definition content, because of the bandwidth requirements. Try moving the WDTV closer to the router and see if you get better results.

1 Like

Tried moving the new player closer to my router and it worked great so I went out and bought a WiFi range extender for upstairs, now the player’s working fine where I want it.  Thanks very much for the help.