Upgrade to 2.02.32 - corrupt?

I have a WD TV Live. It alerted me it wanted to upgrade the firmware from 2.01.86 to 2.02.32.

I tried downloading it directly via the WD TV LIve, but it failed over and over again due to a network error. Then I downloaded the new firmware via PC and inserted a USB stick. It started to upgrade, finished the cycle, rebooted and started to upgrade again (since the USB was still in). I waited for the second cycle to finish and WD TV Live to reboot, then I removed the USB but it displayed an error window saying in many languages that I should connect a USB with the firmware. So, if the USB is in, the upgrade goes on and on, and if USB is out, it wants the USB with the firmware.

Then I downloaded the old firmware, 2.01.86 for the rollback, but WD TV Live doesn’t recognise these files at all and doesn’t start the upgrade as with the 2.02.32 version.

I also tried resetting it, but nothing happens no matter how I poke the little hole with the paperclip. It keeps shoing the “Insert USB with firmware” error screen.

So now I have a piece of useless junk, that used to be WD TV Live, and I am not sure whether to lose more nerves with it or simply throw it away and buy a decent media player.

Any help (factory reset would be nice) will be appreciated.

Hello,

Try with an older version of the firmware.

Firmware Ver. 1.16.13 

Firmware Ver. 1.15.10 

If this does not work then I recommend you contact support directly.

Contact WD

Thanks for the idea, but it also didn’t work. 

So now when I turn WD TV Live on, I get the “Please insert USB with firmware” alert.

If I use the latest, 2.02.32 the upgrade starts, but repeats over-and-over again (I left it for an hour, so it must have done it some 10 times)

But the player doesn’t do aything neither with 2.01.86 nor 1.15.10. It reads the USB (the light flashes for a while) but then does nothing.

I guess I’ll have to contact the support.

Is the USB formatted as FAT32 or NTFS? I read somewhere on this board that it has to be FAT32, and that you need to have unzipped the firmware files to the root of the USB i.e. not inside a folder.

Also if you are installing an older version of firmware, you have to make the WDTV think that it’s a newer version or it won’t install it. One of the firmware files is called wdtvlivegen3.ver. Open that file in a text editor like notepad, and make sure that the version number is higher than your existing firware, use something like 4.02.32. If it successfully installs, it will correct itself to be the right version so don’t worry.

I’ve seen this only once and using another USB drive + pressing the reset button under the device helped.

You won’t believe, but ronmaz’s idea worked. I used a blank USB (again) wth the latest firware (the only one the player recognised) and in the .ver file I changed 2.02.32 into 4.02.32.

The player upgraded, rebooted and displayed a message “Upgrade successful”. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

P.S.: I did try to press the reset button again before doing that, so perhaps that helped as well, although there was no indication on the TV that I actually pressed the reset button, no matter how I jiggled and wiggled the paperclip.

EDIT: Since network settings were unchanged, I think I didn’t reset it after all.