Unable to Get Content Info on movies with long file names

When I try to obtain the content info (Options => Get Content Info) on movies with long filenames, I am getting a rather weird error message saying “Network Not Available”. I verified that my network is connected. When I rename the file names to a shorter name, I am successfully able to retrieve the info. I know I could just work around this problem by renaming the movies, but I’d rather keep the original file names around since they contain information about the movie’s release. Here are some example file names that cause this problem:

• ghostbusters.1984.REMASTERED.1080p.bluray.dts.x264-publichd.mkv
  • Groundhog.Day.1993.BluRay.1080p.DTS.x264-CHD.mkv

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I am running Firmeware Version 2.01.86

Hello,

Where are these files stored? On a USB attached drive or a NAS drive?

Mine does the same occassionally. 

My files are all stored on network shares

Edit : Oh, lateste  firmware thats publicly avail.

Same thing happens to me, only it happens  on some movies not all. Mine are stored on a USb drive.

The files are stored on an USB drive that is directly attached to the WD TV Live. The drive is formatted ext3 (in case that makes a difference).

It doesn’t just occur sometimes, for the given files it is impossible to retrieve the Content Info.

Well, this is really no surprise.   You’re asking the database for a bunch of garbage, and it’s not going to find a match.

I agree

when you torrent a movie, etc …

you should rename the file to whatever makes sense to your system

not what makes sense to the original seeder of the torrent

Long filenames doesn’t necessarily mean torrents :slight_smile: which for me is the case, all my movies are stored in a structure like this

<Name of movie> ().

ie.

…\Jane Eyre\Jane Eyre (2011).mkv

If you need real life examples i can go find one in my collection. but for my movies there is no exception to the naming scheme.

Flatline wrote:

Long filenames doesn’t necessarily mean torrents :) 

Agreed, but I am guessing that everyone looking at “-publichd.mkv” in the first post understood exactly where it came from. :dizzy_face:

I don’t use the internal scraper, but with Thumbgen I have no problems with long file names that include the year and some other data such as HD or BluRay.

-P

pearl wrote:

Flatline wrote:

Agreed, but I am guessing that everyone looking at “-publichd.mkv” in the first post understood exactly where it came from. :dizzy_face:

I don’t use the internal scraper, but with Thumbgen I have no problems with long file names that include the year and some other data such as HD or BluRay.

-P

yep, but think of it this way

your telling the scrapper to look for the following items

ghostbusters - probably successful

1984 - probably not an issue when combined with name

REMASTERED

1080p

bluray

dts

x264-publichd

so you’ve got 2 out of 7 that have a reasonable chance of producing the desired result

or a 5 of 7 chance of getting nothing or completely wrong data  :wink:

KAD79 wrote:

pearl wrote:

Flatline wrote:

-P

yep, but think of it this way

your telling the scrapper to look for the following items

ghostbusters - probably successful

1984 - probably not an issue when combined with name

REMASTERED

1080p

bluray

dts

x264-publichd

so you’ve got 2 out of 7 that have a reasonable chance of producing the desired result

or a 5 of 7 chance of getting nothing or completely wrong data  :wink:

Totally agree on that, and i probably should have been more specific in my ‘happens to me too’ and mentioned that for me the filenamed are normalized.

The problem is not so much the fact it cant find nothing, thats all well and good and will happen, its more the fact taht with the error message “Network not Available” i cant even look it up manually nor correct spelling errors (should there be any) or year issues - certain movies have one release year in imdb.om and another in themoviedb.com strangly enough. With the above mentioned error message all i can do is “ok”

the internal scrapper is admittadly pretty basic, without much control

the external program thumbgen, does allow you all those options and more

for hard to find stuff, I tell thumbgen to look up the imdb id, problem solved

KAD79 wrote:

uuuuhhhhh… being new… linkage? even better, is there like a link collection thread for stuff like just that?

That “Network Error” message is just flat wrong.

It will also do that if you ask for metadata for an episode of a TV series that doesn’t exist, such as

The Big Bang Theory.S01E40.mkv

Episode 40 doesn’t exist, and it will give that error.  

I think the WDTV will report that misleading error message if the scraper API returns an ERROR, versus returns “No Match.”

thumbgen is an external scrapper you run on your PC

http://thumbgen.org/

it collects all the metadata info and create moviesheets

KAD79 wrote:

TG should not have any problem with names like the OP posted. I tried them both and came up with linksheets/Thumnails for Ghostbusters and Groundhog’s Day without issue. I can’t speak for the internal scraper as I have not used it.

-P

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Well, this is really no surprise.   You’re asking the database for a bunch of garbage, and it’s not going to find a match.

Well see, what SHOULD happen is that the scraper will not find the movie but then prompt me to enter the correct movie name – which would allow me to retrieve the Info. But INSTEAD what happens is that I am presented with a bizarre error message and I cannot do anything about it.

danielsan wrote:> But INSTEAD what happens is that I am presented with a bizarre error message and I cannot do anything about it.

You could use Thumbgen, Hubgen or one of the other 3rd party scrapers that are more robust. I agree that an error message is not that helpful, but sometime ya gotta find workarounds to get exactly what you want out of an $80 device.

-P

You could use Thumbgen, Hubgen or one of the other 3rd party scrapers that are more robust. I agree that an error message is not that helpful, but sometime ya gotta find workarounds to get exactly what you want out of an $80 device.

-P

Absolutely. But maybe it’s a trivial fix and WD was unaware of the problem. Is this forum the right place to make such bug reports? Or should I report them somewhere else?

I’ll “accept” the thumbgen suggestion as a solution. I do have a mac though and I’ll probably give  http://www.hubflowapp.com/index.html instead a try.