Top layer folder image help

Hi there guys, I need of some help, I have a wdtv live smp gen3 I think,  currently have a 4tb hdd connected to it, full of media which all works fine and I have set folder images for each movie/tv show etc aswell as xml data, each film has its own folder it looks something like this… 

Seagate backup plus

Movies / tv

Movies

Action

Terminator

As an example, now the movies / TV, movies, action, terminator all have folder images however  can’t seem to get one to work for Seagate backup plus. Which normally be an issue, however I have now filled that hdd and need to add another so I would like to attach an image to help know which is which. Any help would be great. 

Have you already tried to put a file “folder.jpg” in root folder?

Yer I’ve tried to add a jpg to the folder, I’ve named it folder like all the others, but it doesn’t act like a cover photo for some reason, anyone know why?

If you want to use a jpeg for the icon try renaming the desired jpeg “0.metathumb” this will work for any folder where “folder.jpg” works but also additionally at the root of a share.

Thanks I’ll try that.

Tried renaming the jpg 0.metathumb and no luck still no image showing, all the other folders show the jpg have put in there named folder.jpg just not the the first one however suppose the hard drive main directory doesn’t class as a folder does it?

You may want to check out the below post by JoeySmyth. Not sure if it exactly the same, but at a glance it looks like he is doing what you are attempting to do.

Re: Cover / thumbnail for drives

Good Luck

-P

Yes that’s the same as what I want, however I don’t have any themes installed or moviesheets just the standard wdtv theme, and I use gallery view for mine there must be away to add an image for each drive you have connected? Thanks for your help guys.

Instead of sharing the root of the drive put everything inside of a shared folder.  I have a shared folder on a NAS that is “Movies” then inside of that I have a jpeg thumbnail of an old fashoned movie projactor named “0.metathumb” and then 9 sub folders "1 Kids. 2 A-B-C, 3 D-E-F, etc. . Each of the subfolders have thumbnail jpegs with a  graphic , Kids, A-B-C, D-E-F, etc…  These thumbnails are also named 0.metathumb.  WDTV will display the first jepeg as the folder image so naming them 0.metathumb (doesnt seem work for 0,jpg) will ensure WDTV selects them. This works great for TV series or Movie collections that you want all to be in their own folder.

Yer do have a main folder called. Movies / TV shows
Then I have inside that, movies, TV shows, 3d movies, etc then inside them I have action, drama, horror etc and all the jpg cover images I’ve set for them work, its just the root directory which is called Seagate backup plus that won’t work. Not ready for a nas yet lol

Sorry I didn’t read your first post close enough and in my mind you were connecting to a network share not a local HDD. Didn’t mean to send you on a wild goose chase.

Lol no problem matey

Anyone else have any ideas on this subject? Thanks in advance