There is no media in the current folder - again, please help!

I’m using WD Live with a Windows 7 PC and they can both ‘see’ each other on the network (wired connection)- the WDTV unit appears in the Windows network and also appears in the Windows Media Player streaming panel.

I have enabled all the media streaming options etc so it appears as though the Windows Media Player is set to ‘stream’.

Using the WDTV Live box i can access the Windows folders i have shared out, and all of the files appear - however if i select the ‘Media Server’ option on the WDTV menu (when i choose ‘Select content source’) then it just shows me the Windows box ID - when  i select that (as it’s the only option)  then all i get is a message “There is no media in the current folder”.

How can i check the settings to see if the problem is at the WDTV end or at the Windows end -where everything appears to be connected and configured correctly etc;

Hi,

I addressed this issue over three months ago here, and so far, what I descrbed IS the solution for me and others.  The problem comes from Win 7 and although the solution described pertains to music files, any large collection of media (videos, photos, too) could conceiveably be subject to the same situation.

See this link:http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-General-Discussions/quot-There-is-no-media-in-the-current-folder-quot-Oh-yes-there/m-p/291234#M25797

do you realize that you don’t have to stream anything unless you want to have other people outside view your stuff what you can do is get a pair of usb only hard drives connect them to the wd live and then disable media streaming in windows networking and sharing center and then if the wd is still visible to windows then copy whatever you want vie wyfy and be done with it happy watching

i am running solaris and having similar issues… i’d say there are some poor implementation decisions on the wd

this is a re post mike27oct Valued Contributor Posts: 200 Registered: 11-10-2011 2 … “There is no media in the current folder.” (Oh yes there is!) [Edited] . Options . . … 11-10-201108:23 PM - last edited on 12-01-201105:29 PM I have had my WDTV Live Plus for just over a year, and during this time I have lurked in these discussion forums for tips and solutions to the problems I have had. Overall, I like my WDTV a lot, because it does a lot and does it well. It’s time now for me to give back some help and add an important tip of my own, because I have finally resolved my most frustrating problem of all. That is: how not to get the dreaded message from the media player, “There is no media in the current folder” when I click on Music/Media servers/(name of my Win 7 computer). Sometimes, I could see all my music folders and files and stream it from the PC to the media player, and sometimes I could not. I know why, now. Continue reading, and you will know why, too. It has to do with patiently waiting . . . I cussed out the WDTV way too often. I called WD tech support many times and got excellent service from the higher level techs. They spent a lot of time trying to help me, so I give lots of kudos to those guys. But, try as we may, nothing really helped the situation clear up. So, I kind of lived with it, but kept trying different ideas. WDTV had no problems with detecting the video and photo folders; it was the music folder that was a problem. I repeatedly re-shared the music folder even though Win 7 showed it was already shared; obviously it wasn’t. Sometimes this fixed things; sometimes not. The solution breakthrough came when, one day, I decided to re-share all my media folders; not just the music folder. I will tell you I have hardly any photos to share from the server PC, a few dozen mp4, ISO etc. movie files, (most of the movie files reside on two hard drives connected to the WDTV) and I have over 9000 music files in my iTunes folder to share! I first re-shared my mostly empty photo folder and noticed the hard disk activity light flicker then stop; when I re-shared the video folder, the disk light flickered a minute or so, and when I re-shared the music folder, the disk light flickered solidly for around 20 minutes! Remember, I have over 9000 music files, and Windows had to create a record of them all. When all the sharing and disk light flickering ended, I checked the WDTV and it detected all my music files again. Apparently, Windows 7 writes files for all the media shared, and if there is a lot of media, it can take quite a long time! Sure, Windows warns: “this can take a few minutes”, and shortly after that it notifies that the files were shared. Well, they weren’t – not yet anyway – not until all that file writing took place for 20 minutes. The problem had been solved, and the WDTV was not to blame; even Windows was not a total culprit. The problem was caused by not giving enough time (lots of it) for Windows to make its list of music files it could then share with the media player. Once in a while things “blow-up”, and I loose the music files detection again. This can happen after a Win update and reboot, or for reasons unknown. Whatever makes it go away again is not the primary issue. How to get it all back again is the issue, and by using the method I described, things will be up and running again soon. One final important step: After all the re-sharing has completed, the server PC must be restarted, as apparently Windows needs to read the share files it has created during its boot up each time. Once the PC has completed booting, THEN turn on the WDTV, and it can detect all the media folders again. --------------------------------------------------​----- Additional notes: Darn, this technique has worked for me for weeks – until today. Good news, though, it still works with a second effort. This time, I shut down the Win 7 PC, then started it and re-shared music folder again, then rebooted again and all was well when boot up of PC was completed. If all else fails, then UN-share the problem folder, (un-check “share this folder” box) reboot, then share it again, reboot, and this ought to get it. BTW, the WDTV remained on during all this time, and when I checked it after the final reboot / file writing, the music folder was shared to WDTV again. This indicates to me that the problem is definitely Win 7 sharing related. If the WDTV gets the right info from the Win 7 PC at any time, it is happy. .

I believe I figured out what was the issue in my case…

Well, the implementation for NFS is not that bright… or trying to cater to non NFS savvy users…

the WD is scanning my /16 network arping away like never before…

during this time all wierd stuff happens with the device, hanging, giving error message not making sense …

… like the one in this thread…

anyways just my $0.02+TAX