Themes?

All the themes I’ve tried turn the SMP interface into a pseudo pinball machine lookalike!

Aren’t there any clean non-garish themes? 

Well while I wouldn’t call any of the themes I’ve tried so far ‘garish’, my tastes do run to the simple as well.  So i’ve recently set about doing up my own mamba mod.  I wasn’t really planning on releasing it to the wider community 'cause basically there’s already a few mamba mods about (with more to come apparently) and I reckon people would find mine too simple and boring.

Anyway, if there are people interested in something fairly simple then this may appeal.  If so let me know and I’ll finish it off and make it available.

Some caveats/acknowledgements:

1.  Props to DeVicious.  As I said this is based on Mamba (1.5) so the majority of it is her hard work. Particularly as I don’t use the SMP for photos or music, so these screens remain the standard mamba views.   I’ve simply done up new screens for the video views and changed the rv_video view to an 8x3 screen showing 24 thumbs.  I wanted a view that could show a whole season of episode thumbs and it seems to be working well.  

2.  I’ve only tested it on firmware 1.04.x

3.  I’ve done up my own thumbnail and folder/season frames to use with thumbgen that work well with the overall look. I’m using a tweaked mamba TV episode thumb.  I can make these available if anyone wants them (png’s and PSD files).

4.  I’ve done up a simple home menu that you’ll see is a completely different look to the main theme.  It’s light and quick and any background image can be used.  The menu pngs are just the text based menu selections.

5.  I’ve gotten rid of extras like reflections and what not for the sake of speed.  Not sure if it has helped but it’s consistent with the ‘simple’ approach.

6.  The movesheets are LStar’s split sheet for movies and TV.  The TV sheet uses banner images instead of normal poster images.

Here’s a link to a number of screen shots.  There’s still a few tweaks to do but I’m almost done and I can get back to actually using the SMP to watch movies!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79071167@N08/7285348862/in/set-72157629931271756/lightbox/

Cheers

Dave

1 Like

i like the last two screens - smooth and clean.  The other screens are still too much like a video game to my taste.

Please vote for a separate theme topic for the SMP this will help with others or yourself creating a theme that you will be happy with.

Separate-Theme-Topic

d@ve

2 Likes

A video game?  If a screen full of thumbnails with a plain border on a plain background is video gamish, then I doubt you’re gonna be happy with any theme.  The last two screens are “clean and smooth” because basically they don’t have to display any info beyond the menu choices. 

If you want something even more simpler, grab your background of choice (possibly plain black), save it as RV-BG-LIST.jpg, edit rv_list_browse_page.xml to disable the thumbnail and you’ll be left with plain text on black background.  

Cheers

Dave

thanks … I might give that a try!

Rubicon99 wrote:

Well while I wouldn’t call any of the themes I’ve tried so far ‘garish’, my tastes do run to the simple as well.  So i’ve recently set about doing up my own mamba mod.  I wasn’t really planning on releasing it to the wider community 'cause basically there’s already a few mamba mods about (with more to come apparently) and I reckon people would find mine too simple and boring.

Anyway, if there are people interested in something fairly simple then this may appeal.  If so let me know and I’ll finish it off and make it available.

Cheers

Dave

Looks good, go ahead and finish it and give us a link.

I for one like it and look forward to using it.

Cheers

Yep, I’m kinda interested in trying it out too.   Thanks!

It looks interesting and I like the clean look and pleasant colors.

Looking forward to seeing it available.

Nice work looks cool