Streaming from WDTV Live to Mac os 10.9.2

So I just recently updatedmy OS X from 10.6 to 10.9.2.  I have always been able to stream from the WDTV Live (connected with a 3TB external) to my iMac.  On the iMac I use VLC (also using current version) as my media player.  it all plays find except for every few minutes i get something that looks like its buffering.  it “pauses”, glitches out and then resumes play. 

It plays just fine on the WDTV which is hooked up to my tv just fine… its just since this update I get this odd streaming issue.  Is there any resolve for this?  

Also Note:  I am using VLC because of its vast media playback acceptance.  I have numerous TV shows and movies that are avi, mp4, mkv etc.

Hello, have  you tried using another media player to verify the problem is not with VLC? 

I have not,  do you know of any other player that can play the wide variety of formats??

_ UPDATE:  _I have just tried using UMPlayer and it lags just as bad if not worse than VLC, so it seems to be something in the stream, or something that isnt compatible with Mavericks…

Would you mind to describe which is your network environment is and connection of various peripherals?

This is just in my house,  I have a 50mbps connection (supposedly)  which is more like 35ish  its going through one floor… the cable modem is going through a wireless router. 

pockets wrote:

This is just in my house,  I have a 50mbps connection (supposedly)  which is more like 35ish  its going through one floor… the cable modem is going through a wireless router. 

You’re lucky: I’ve a 20 mbps ADSL going at 8. :smiley:

Anyway, I suppose that the HDD is connected directly to the WD TV, which is connected via wireless to the router, so if everything was working before the only “issue” I may imagine is related to OS update, might be that some protocols or something has been upgraded and your iMAC doesn’t completely manage them due to “something” like age, or whatever.

My very personal advice is to search if someone else is experiencing this issues or verify which OS’ components are affected by the update, otherwise I think you unfortunately have to wait for a new update.

rddrgn wrote:

pockets wrote:

You’re lucky: I’ve a 20 mbps ADSL going at 8. :smiley:

Anyway, I suppose that the HDD is connected directly to the WD TV, which is connected via wireless to the router, so if everything was working before the only “issue” I may imagine is related to OS update, might be that some protocols or something has been upgraded and your iMAC doesn’t completely manage them due to “something” like age, or whatever.

My very personal advice is to search if someone else is experiencing this issues or verify which OS’ components are affected by the update, otherwise I think you unfortunately have to wait for a new update.

yes you are correct, HDD is in direct line to the WDTV and then that is wireless… yeah it all seemed to happen once i updated to OS Mavericks.  idk what else to seek out because VLC is supposed to be lite and have everything bundled in it with no issue.  VLC and my HDD work fine in direct play but lags via the WDTV.  …so when you say I may have to wait for a new update, do you mean a push from WDTV?

it could also be that you’ve just found a file with bitrate the WD or your network does not support

WD has very annemic cpu

so while it does work for smb sharing, it’s not exactly an ideal device

then you add in wireless to the mix

is it just 1 file or many different files

also what is the average bit rate

KAD79 wrote:

it could also be that you’ve just found a file with bitrate the WD or your network does not support

WD has very annemic cpu

so while it does work for smb sharing, it’s not exactly an ideal device

then you add in wireless to the mix

is it just 1 file or many different files

also what is the average bit rate

it is many files…and not just my tv shows, but movies as well… like i said… before the update i was ok, and now I have issues.  I am not sure what the average bitrate is.

yes you are correct, HDD is in direct line to the WDTV and then that is wireless… yeah it all seemed to happen once i updated to OS Mavericks.  idk what else to seek out because VLC is supposed to be lite and have everything bundled in it with no issue.  VLC and my HDD work fine in direct play but lags via the WDTV.  …so when you say I may have to wait for a new update, do you mean a push from WDTV?

Well no, I was thinking to Apple, since you’re experiencing problems only after OS update. :slight_smile: