Still no dolby digital 5.1 after 1.06.04

My WDTV live SMP are on the same condition: no dolby digital 5.1 through optical cable. Nothing change from previous firmware. Tomorrow I will call WD and I try to bring my money back, in this condition my 120 euro was good for dump.

After this discussion there still no soluction:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/No-Dolby-Digital-audio-after-1-05-18/td-p/315241/page/2

1 Like

Have you try to reset your device to factory default? No the one that is done after the firmware update, but a full factory default reset?

Well, take a look at the discussion linked on my post, I do EVERYTHING, but the problem are on the firmware because with an old version all kind of audio are played fine ( except m2ts video). Reset and restore, rollback, hard Reset with the button on the bottom of SMP but no Dolby digital 5.1 from optical cable after 1.04.12. Fix the firmware please

Still i havent got any voice after 1.06.04 firmware update over my optical cable with dolby digital 5.1 sound. There is no problem on DTS but still the same problem in 1.05.18 is still going on…Please correct the chronical problem immediately, and we are witing the corrected firmware as soon as possible less than one week…

I updated to this latest firmware and had this issue yet again.  missing DTS audio using optical out.  This problem was also reported with the previous firmware in a few different posts:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/FW-1-05-18-No-DTS-nor-Dolby-Digital-on-Optical-Out/idi-p/318261#comments 

On the previous firmware all i did to fix the issue was a factory reset so i thought i would try the factory reset again since i had the same problem again after upgrading to the new firmware. 

This time the factory reset was not what specifically fixed the issue for me.  What i found out by trial and error is that if you specifically choose that you have a DTS Reciever in the audio setup and there is a green tick next to it this will actually DISABLE the DTS audio.  After i removed all the ticks from the audio types that my reciever can recieve then i found that all audio including DTS worked again. 

A bit backwards if you ask me.  anyway i hope this helps other people.

Actually, what “SHOULD” be happening if you Un-TICK an audio format is that the WD will decode it and send it as PCM to the receiver.

But I’ve never had to do that… My boxes correctly identify the audio formats and send it as passthrough… 

DTS audio shows as DTS on my receiver and I get sound.

I never had this problem with DD or DTS. I always have DD or DTS sound with my receiver thru the optical interface (yes, in 5.1, no 2-ch pcm). Also testet with different containers (vob, mkv, avi, m2ts…). How can this different behaviour be explained? I’m on V1.06.04. I have read, that by one person it helped, that he flashed back to V1.04.12. Then he did the factory reset and reflashed to V1.05.18 and repeated the factory reset procedure. Today i would of course flash to V1.06.04. Can somebody test this, who has this problem with 5.1 sound?

oh yeah just checked you are correct.  my reciever is showing PCM instead of DTS like it normally would.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Actually, what “SHOULD” be happening if you Un-TICK an audio format is that the WD will decode it and send it as PCM to the receiver.

But I’ve never had to do that… My boxes correctly identify the audio formats and send it as passthrough… 

DTS audio shows as DTS on my receiver and I get sound.

As we said many times, there is no problem on DTS code over optical cable to the receiver. The problem is occured in Dolby Digital 5.1 (AAC) code over optical cable.  It is impossible to get AAC sound from receiver over optical cable. Everything is Ok. This problem existed after 1.05.18 firmware. There is no problem in 1.04.12 firmware. 

Dolby Digital and AAC are two completely different audio formats.

You need to be specific. 

yes, you are right…i would say AC-3 instead of AAC. So, AC-3 code is presented as Dolby Digital 5.1 in my AV Receiver (Sony Str-db930). Now, i did rollback to 1.04.12 and now there is no problem in the codes over optical cable. If i try to update new firmwares (1.05.18 and 1.06.04), they are not transmitting AC-3 codes from WDTV Live to the AV receiver correctly. I wrote this problem to WD Support team after the 1.05.18 firmware but they were not helpful about it, they were like helpless. I hope that they are hearing my voice now…

After one month from the 1.06.04 version still no soluction? Incredibile. No soluction from customer service or a new firmware. 120 euro good for dump! Sorry but This is the last Wd product.

I am on the 1.06 firmware and I have no problem with DD5.1 over optical cable. Works with some AVI files I have and with DD5.1 Netflix videos.

The only codec I can’t receive from the player is AAC and I think it’s because my 8 year old receiver doesn’t support it.

So to be clear, this issue is not affecting everyone.

For those that have the issue, are there any specific videos that don’t work that others could access to verify if it’s the player problem or a peculiar type of codec?

Well, i can’t repeat on each post what I have do. DD 5.1 disappear from SMP after an update, before was played without problem. With old firmware m2ts was not displayed but the bug was corrected. Same file, same codec are are recognize from the firmware in a different way. I’m not the only one with This problem. When I call the costumer service they suggest me to convert my m2ts because there’s something wrong on video codec, but after two week on a new firmware the Issue was solved (read the note of 1.05). Now same story, they Say: there’s something wrong on your audio codec…it’s a joke? I have a WD tv live 2nd generation and all my “Damaged” file work fine. Who knows if is the majority that have no problem? But in any case why the one Who have This problem must wait so many time? I ask a refund but I don’t trust in that…

I also have this issue, no dd 5.1 sound over optical, DTS is fine.

Im on latest firmware, and it is affecting all my files with dd 5.1

Power cycle and factory reset does not help

Please say if you need more info

EDIT: Just tried 1.04.12 firmware - it plays dd 5.1 fine with this firmware…

Here is mediainfo on one of the files

General Unique ID                                : 250170795586935734265168268252394044272 (0xBC35248443DFC5F59125D06CEF303B70) Complete name                            : Z:\Iron Man 2.mkv Format                                   : Matroska Format version

: Version 2

File size                                : 6.41 GiB Duration                                 : 2h 4mn

Overall bit rate           

: 7 366 Kbps Encoded date                             : UTC 2010-09-12 06:29:50 Writing application                     

: mkvmerge v4.0.0 (‘The Stars were mine’) built on Jun  6 2010 16:18:42 Writing library                         

: libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

Video ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4.1

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 11

frames Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Duration                                 : 2h 4mn

Bit rate                                 : 6 500 Kbps

Width                                    : 1 280 pixels

Height                                   : 544 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 2.35:1

Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps

Color space                              : YUV Chroma

subsampling                       : 4:2:0 Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.389

Stream size                              : 5.53 GiB (86%)

Title                                    : Iron Man 2 (2010)

Writing library                          : x264 core 104 r1713 c276662

Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=11 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=tesa / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.05:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=6500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.90

Language                                 : English

Default                                  : No

Forced                                   : No

Audio #1 ID                                       : 2

Format                                   : AC-3

Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)

Codec ID                                 : A_AC3

Duration                                 : 2h 4mn

Bit rate mode                            : Constant Bit rate                                 : 640 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 6 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Compression mode                         : Lossy Stream

size                              : 571 MiB (9%)

Title                                    : AC3 5.1 @ 640 kbps

Language                                 : English

Default                                  : No

Forced                                   : No