Still getting "Last content source has been removed"

If anyone is willing to do a Wireshark capture of this issue, I’ll dig into it and file a detailed report with WD…

Wireshark experience not necessary but note that you will be revealing some details about your network and account(s) to me.

PM me if you’re willing…

richardc1983 wrote:

Also why when I set a particular folder to my media library it forgets it next time if I select the remember password option.

It must be a bug of some sort.  I never tried it on older firmware because the first thing I did when I got it was update to the latest firmware.  I have experienced something similar as well.  After reentering credentials, I went to manage media folders and none were listed.  As soon as I readded one, the others all showed up.

Toddler wrote:

"An audit failure does not indicate a “problem” with the WDTV.   All the WDTV is doing is logging in using cached credentials.

The audit failure event indicates your server denied the login, most likely due to a policy you’re enforcing on the server."

I’ve noticed your “blame anything other than WD” attitude in these forums, and it’s not helpful.

An audit failure in this case does indicate a “problem” with the WD TV Live, and I’ll make this really simple.  Changing nothing at all on the server side, the WD cannot connect after it restarts.  The server logs the following:

Failure Information:

Failure Reason:  Unknown user name or bad password.

Process Information:  Caller Process ID: 0x0

Workstation Name: WDTVLIVE

Source Network Address: 192.168.1.124

Source Port:  49655

Again, changing nothing on the server side, if I clear and reenter the credentials on the WD TV Live, it immediately works.  It’s not a policy on the server side.  I’m a network engineer and Windows deployment expert.  I know how to read a log file.  I didn’t go into that level of detail because I didn’t expect to be asked for proof, but there you have it.

The WD TV Live should be logging in with cached credentials, but in my case, the credentials it is using after a restart seem to be incorrect.  Obviously, the server will not log those credentials for security purposes, but maybe the WD engineers can provide a way to check those credentials on the WD TV Live side and see what is going wrong or what changes when I reenter them.

The info above was with the 1.05.18 firmware.  I upgraded to the 1.06.04 firmware this morning, and it changed the behavior slightly.

On the 1.06.04 firmware, I can now put the SMP in standby (quick press of the power button) without having to reenter my credentials at startup.  If I power off the SMP (three-second press of the power button), the server logs “unknown user name or bad password” at startup, and my shares are inaccessible until I reenter my credentials.  On the 1.05.18 firmware, both standby and power off modes produced “unknown user name or bad password” and required me to reenter my credentials.

The engineers must have changed something in this firmware to have fixed standby, but power cycle is still problematic.  As with the previous behavior, I can reproduce this at will.

I’m getting this problem, and it’s weird because I can go into Files and see the Network shares, but the Media Library just “disappears”. If I add another share to the Media Library, or do a cold boot and re enter credentials, the Media Library rebuilds. But within a day I suddenly get “Last Content source has been removed” again and now I have no Media Library. I’ve turned off the Media Library and I’m just accessing the shares directly until I see a fix for this. Latest firmware by the way.

In my case, “the last content source has been removed” occurs because the WD is no longer sending the proper credentials.  On the server, there are “unknown user or bad password” events logged coming from the WD, so the server denies access.  When the WD can’t access the shares (the “content sources”), they are removed from the Media Library.  Readding a content source and reentering the credentials brings them all back.

I’m also getting this problem, but every 10-15 mins of watching a movie…

I can see the movie folders, select one and start playing it… after 10-15 minutes the screen goes blank and the “last content source has been removed” comes up.

if I go to select the source the media server has gone, but if I go straight to setup, last network connection, select the wirelesss network ( N standard router), then go back to the Videos tab, all the movies are back, I can select the same movie and “resume” from where it stopped… but its a REAL pain doing that every 15 mins…

I wondered if it was the wireless network, but I can watch an HD pogram from I-Player all the way through without a glitch.

Media server is WHS 2011, the only thing that should sleep is the display…  Sharing is on for “everyone” without passwords.

Any ideas?

I have been plagued with this issue - I am connecting to a Zyxcel Server and lose connection every thirty minutes. I have rebuilt database on server a number of times to no avail. I am connecting to Logitech Media Centre (Squeezebox) on the server and have run out of options. Has anyone managed to figure this out please? Any help gratefully appreciated.

Add me to the list of people with this (or a similar) problem. My wife is ready to throw the SMP out the window. I’m running firmware 1.07.15, but I’ve had this issue since I bought the device.

I haven’t spent any time trying to narrow down when and how it happens, but I’m happy to run any tests needed, including packet captures. If it weren’t for this problem, the SMP would be perfect for me.

This just happened to me a few minutes ago…

I was watching a 1080p MKV. It got to the end of the movie and was going to go back to the list of videos when I got the spinning arrow. Once that timed out, I got “Last content source has been removed”.

For me, when this happens… all I have to do is go into the setup menu and restart the device. Once it comes back up, all is well. I do not have to re-enter the password every time. Occasionally it does loose the username and the password, but that is not a common occurance for me. A simple restart fixes my problems 95% of the time.

Again, I’m happy to run any tests needed to narrow this down. Just reply or send me a PM and I’ll do what it takes to get this figured out. My wife and little girl will be ecstatic if this can be resolved.

I’m having the same issue. Willing to run whatever tests are needed to get rid of this problem. I have about 28 days left on my return period and if I can’t get this problem resolved I think I’ll probably just return it.  Having to re-add content every time it turns on is a deal-breaker.

Same problem here, sharing from a Linux server running Fedora 14 and Amahi. Tried using SMB shares and media centre via Amahi, Plex and even PS3 media streamer. For all options I get disconnected mid stream after about 30 mins and the dreaded “content source has been removed”. Tried the following all with no joy

- Changed Workgroup from WORKGROUP to correct home workgroup name

- Disabled Media centre completely and used SMB shares

- Tried mixture of avi and MKV’s with different video and audio combinations (SD and HD)

- Upgraded to latest firmware

This is getting incredibly frustrating, I bought a streaming media player that can only stream for 30 minutes!

If I do a full power off and on, it will work perfectly again (without remembering where to resume from…)

Streaming to any of my others devices is perfect from the same Linux server e.g… iOS, Sony BDP, Xbox 360, etc.

Are we saying the product basically doesn’t work or am I missing something?

Thanks

Hopeful user

GasMan320 wrote:

I’m having the same issue. Willing to run whatever tests are needed to get rid of this problem. I have about 28 days left on my return period and if I can’t get this problem resolved I think I’ll probably just return it.  Having to re-add content every time it turns on is a deal-breaker.

It has been reported for months, and despite seven firmware upgrades, it still persists.  I would say it will never be fixed, so definitely return your device while you still can.  I wish I had.

Well having recently set up a home share network and instantly running into the issues described in this post and others it seem I may be returning my box very soon.  I am already on my second unit as the first did not like having a HD plugged into its rear port.  It seems that this product has more bugs than a I’m a celebrity bug eating show down.

A shame.

1 Like

I´m having this issue only using a media server (tried TVersity and Wild Media Server) after 30m the connection is lost.

Using windows or linux shares, the connection is not lost.

I guess anytime soon [deleted] is going to the garbage.

Hoping against hope that WD will take notice and address this.

I’ve had the WD TV for a few months. I had this problem at the beginning and discussed it here, but I can’t find that now. I’m running an iMac and Playback media server. The WD TV will usually run for a couple of minutes, then post, “the last content source has been removed”. Somehow I got that fixed the first time, but in the last week the problem has appeared again.

I’ve reset the WD TV and even restored the original settings, to no avail. I’ve used other media server software, also to no avail. This is some kind of problem with the WD TV, and I would really like it to go away… before the WD TV does.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Someone must know whats going on with this dropping out of network? I have 3 of these devices and they all do the same thing when in active for a time they lose the network shares. This must be fairly common thing? 

I’ve been trying to figure this one out for a while myself. In my case I can “fix” it by going to Network Settings and either Connect to a Previous Network or go to the Workgroup page and simply resubmit the same workgroup name. No configuration changes are made. This “solution” works 100% of the time for me. 

Note: The connection works fine otherwise in that I can access the Internet.

It has gotten to the point that if I want to hit my Windows 7 box to serve up some videos, I just do one of the above beforeharnd because invariably if any significant amount of time has gone by (a few hours), it won’t find the share/server. 

I’ve had some luck powering down the SMP when I’m finished with it by holding down the remote power button for 5 or more seconds (there’s no feedback that it’s powering down completely, you just have to have faith).

While it takes a while for this… thing… to power back up, I have had no problems with network shares disappearing since I started doing it.

This device continues to use an obscene amount of power when put into standby (briefly pressing the power button).  The processor inside is almost as hot as when it’s playing a high-bandwidth program.  I suspect its little processor is busy calculating new ways to infuriate and disappoint its owner.

I’m currently running the latest fw 1.10.13

Although I have never had an issue with the heat generated by this device while in operation I have never been happy about the amount of heat generated while in standby. WD really should take note of what people are saying here.

The short press power off & long press are absolutely the wrong way round.

My wife hates it, my kids do not have the patience to hold the button for 5 seconds. These guys that design this stuff obviously don’t have families.

WD take note, short press deep standby (turns off wifi, NIC etc). Long press high power standby. It would not be hard for you to recode this in your firmware or at least give us the option in settings.

We always turn the unit off at the wall outlet every night.

I have also discovered that doing this while in operational mode (white light on) gives me a reasonably fast boot up and only about 2mins of compiling media library. The whole boot / compile process takes no more than about 5mins.

I think I might be a bit lucky here now as I used to have lots of issues with the compiling media library when I first got the SMP but it does seem to have settled down nicely now.

Regards

slip

My apologies, miss-posted