Static IP and WDTV to solve Invalid Id/Password

A few people have mentioned using static IP instead of DHCP as a method to solve the Invalid ID/PW problem.  

I’m fine with static ip but I’ve seen my invalid password problems occur when the ‘offending’ PC has never turned off. So I figure the offending PC’s (offending according to WDTV) IP shoud not have changed.  Right? 

JRFishman wrote:

A few people have mentioned using static IP instead of DHCP as a method to solve the Invalid ID/PW problem.  

I’m fine with static ip but I’ve seen my invalid password problems occur when the ‘offending’ PC has never turned off. So I figure the offending PC’s (offending according to WDTV) IP shoud not have changed.  Right? 

the IP address has probably not changed, but IP address are distributed on a lease and must be renewed, when the IP lease is renewed is very unlikely for the IP address to change but it is possible

a static IP works very similiar but you set parameters to only allow 1 IP address

this can be done either in your router by making a reservation or on your PC’s configuration

with a static IP if the address requested is not available because it’s already in use by a different machine or any other reason, the connection will fail

more likely there is some other network issue going on