Sluggish Performance

Mysetup is as follows:

WDLTV SMP → 100mb physical network.

Synology 1812+ → 1Gb Physical network.

Share level on Synology is (R/W using CIF’s):

NAS\Media

• Movies

• TV Shows

When I add the two sub paths into the local lib, it generates thumb nails, also it does create the .wd_tv folder on the NAS.

When browsing the thumb nails, it takes a number of settings to show each one, and any cover art. Once loaded its fast, but after a restart its very slow and has to repopulate taking 2-4 seconds for a page of thumb nails to show up.

I am not using jumbo frames, I have tried SMB and SMB2 on the synology, but still makes not differance.

I have yet to try NFS.

I have a Dune HD D1, using exactly the same shares, but no Lib function, and this is signifcantly faster when showing the folder.jpg. The dune does have a 8GB usb drive, that it uses for local cache.

Is there anyway to attach a USB disk to the WD and use this as local cache for the contents like thumbnails on the NAS?

I also have a Synology (DS-413j). My recommendation is to turn off the library and connect by NFS (LINUX) network shares.  The only delay I have is waiting for the NAS to wake up from hibernation. If the NAS is already online then the thumbnails are there with no wait.

Nice one, will try the NFS tonight. Had a gen1 WDLiveTV years back, and NFS via windows app always seemed better.

And from what I have read in the past few hours, the media lib. option being on seems to be horribly bugged.

Is there anyway to have mutli shares options display on the top page of  the Video Tab?

example:

Video:

TV Shows = \nas\media\tv shows

Movies = \nas\media\Movies

As I have other contents under media share, including the dune database, and workspace for yadis, would like these not to appear? Or would renameing these with a “.” infront be the only option to hide?

zerologic wrote:

example:

Video:

TV Shows = \nas\media\tv shows

Movies = \nas\media\Movies

As I have other contents under media share, including the dune database, and workspace for yadis, would like these not to appear? Or would renameing these with a “.” infront be the only option to hide?

I have mine setup for SAMBA, but both of your options above work for me, the first one being preferable obviously. Without the media library (which I do not use either), when I attach to my file server which I have as the default when the SMP turns on, it will see all of the shares that are on that server. So if I have share points that are for data (which I do), the SMP will present those as well. I just made a folder.jpg for that so it did not look out of place when I view in gallery mode.

So for me when I go into videos, I am presented with the following three folders

TV Shows = \FileServer\tv shows

Movies = \FileServer\movies

Data=\FileServer\Data

That look like this in Gallery View

*Big Caveat

Like I said, I am not using NFS so not sure if this will correlate exactly but I am thinking so. Your box will just see the all of the share points on your NAS, unfortunately some you may not want it to. Maybe someone else here has a better solution to hiding shares, but I have not found one that works well for my WDs, without messing up other stuff on my network, so just giving it a cover and not opening it with my SMP or HUB works fine for me.

Good Luck.

-P

Looks good, will get some folder.jpg in the shares. but yes you are right, I have a number of other shares at the root level of nas, (apps, vmware etc).

All my video content is in a share called Media, so I think will have one level to navigate down to see.

will do some experimenting tonight with user accounts, and hiding non related shares from that account. But still will have the single Media folder issue before getting to TV, and Movies.

zerologic wrote:

will do some experimenting tonight with user accounts, and hiding non related shares from that account. But still will have the single Media folder issue before getting to TV, and Movies.

What about removing the media folder share, and replacing it with one for TV and one for Movies at the next leve down. then you would see them similar to mine at the top level, along with apps, vmware etc.?

-P

why don’t yu create special user for wd tv on nas. That he has access only for media folder?