Set digital pass thjrough audio as default

Hi

Is there a way to configure it so I don’t have to change audio source from stereo to f.eks Dolby Digital?

Settings / Audio

1 Like

I did set it to passthough via HDMI but my video files still plays stereo as default.

paulove wrote:

I did set it to passthough via HDMI but my video files still plays stereo as default.

I don’t understand that.   Passthrough is passthrough.  It doesn’t do anything to the audio – it doesn’t downmix anything.

The only exception I can think of to this is multichannel AAC, which is not supported.

Dolby Digital, though, as you mentioned in your first post, is passed through untouched – multichannel or otherwise.

The only thing I can think of is that you have your AVR or receiver configured incorrectly.

Please post the full TEXT output of MEDIAINFO for a file you’re having an issue with.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

1 Like

The video file have two audio tracks, one aac and one Dolby Digital that is sent to receiver via passthrough.

The passthrough is working, it is just that I would perfer it to be default.

General
Complete name : I:\AppleTV\jack-jack attack 2005.m4v
Format : MPEG-4
Codec ID : M4V
File size : 167 MiB
Duration : 4mn 44s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 4 912 Kbps
Movie name : Jack-Jack Attack
Performer : Jack-Jack Attack
Genre : Animation & Short & Family & Adventure
ContentType : Short Film
Description : Kari the babysitter thinks she’s in for a night of routine babysitting. She’s prepared to provide neurological stimulation with some soothing musical accompaniment for little Jack-Jack, the smallest member of the incredible Parr family. Little does s
Recorded date : 2005-01-01
Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-14 16:34:05
Tagged date : UTC 2012-07-14 16:34:18
Writing application : MkvToMp4 [www.mkvtomp4.ru] version 0.220a
Cover : Yes
LongDescription : Kari the babysitter thinks she’s in for a night of routine babysitting. She’s prepared to provide neurological stimulation with some soothing musical accompaniment for little Jack-Jack, the smallest member of the incredible Parr family. Little does she know that Jack-Jack will teach her a thing or two about babies with “special needs.”
HDVideo : Yes
Vendor : tt0455565
ContentRating : mpaa|G|100|
iTunMOVI : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> / / / / cast / / / name / Bret ‘Brook’ Parker / / / name / Bud Luckey / / / name / Eli Fucile / / / name / Jason Lee / / / directors / / / name / Brad Bird / / / producers / / / name / Brad Bird / / / screenwriters / / / name / Brad Bird / / / /

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 4 000 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 18.3 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.181
Stream size : 135 MiB (81%)
Writing library : x264 core 56 svn-680
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=4000 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq=‘blurCplx^(1-qComp)’ / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-14 16:34:05
Tagged date : UTC 2012-07-14 16:34:07

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 288 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 511 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel(s)_Original : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 9.77 MiB (6%)
Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-14 16:34:07
Tagged date : UTC 2012-07-14 16:34:07

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : ac-3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 21.7 MiB (13%)
Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-14 16:34:07
Tagged date : UTC 2012-07-14 16:34:00

I think you’re confused.   Passthrough setting is permanent.   If you have it set to “Digital Passthrough” that’s exactly what it’ll do.

But unless your receiver supports AAC decoding, then the WD is going to change it to 2-channel PCM.

If you want Dolby Digital to always be sent instead, then you need to remux the file and set Track 2 to be Track 1.

1 Like

Not so much confused, but I thought I could set it to be the passthrough even if it is in second channel.

If I don’t remember wrong I think that is what happend on an earlier firmware,

Do you have a recommendation for a windows program that can remux my files?

You’re not understanding what passthrough means.

When you configure the audio mode to “Digital Passthrough via HDMI Only”, it passes through whatever your active audio track is.  Only ONE audio channel can be processed or passed through at a time.

It’s not possible for any device to send multiple audio streams simultaneously via the HDMI, Optical, or audio outputs.   The receiver would have no idea what to do with multiple streams.

No firmware has changed this behavior…  

I’m not familiar with tools that remux M4V files.   But if you have MKV files, MKVmerge is the way to go.

I remember now, I had an apple tv before the wd tv, and when I used that I could set Dolby track as default.

I do understand passtrough, and my original question was if I could set track 2 as default. But I guess there is no configuration for the video player. So I either have to remux all videos or just switch when starting a video.

paulove wrote:
I do understand passtrough, and my original question was if I could set track 2 as default.

Which was not at all clear from this post’s subject nor from your explanation. Now that this is clear: no, you need to remux whatever audio you want to be the first track in the file.

1 Like

I have found a tool that can reorder the audio tracks in m4v/mp4 files. MkvToMp4, it can also be used to inject info about movie.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MkvToMp4