Resume play on multiple devices

I have researched as much as I can about this issue, but have not found a definitive answer anywhere.  

My question is that I would love to be able to begin a video file on one device (WDTVLiving) and then pause it.  Move to another room (WDTVBedroom) and be able to continue where I left off in the other room.  I have tried many solutions, but nothing seems to work.  Maybe it is the current firmware (rolling back the firmware is the last resort)?

My current setup is that I have a Windows 7 computer and 2 WDTV SMP devices.  I view the files as network shares over the WDTV without any issues (everything is hardwired to a router).  I do not typically use the Media Library function of the WDTV since I do not need to use any metadata at this point (I like to keep my media folders clear from extra files as much as possible), but am open to using it if that would achieve the goal.  

I have compiled Media Libraries on each device using network shares to see if I could achieve the above function, but it was unsuccessful.  I have even deleted .wdtv files/folders from my windows 7 machine in order to completely rebuild the media library to see if that would help, to no avail.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I can configure my setup to resume play on different devices?  If it is a firmware issue, what firmware release should I roll back to?  If it is possible only with NFS shares, I will look into that as well.  Just looking for some direction to help me out.

Thanks,

blammo79

Hello,

I believe this is not supported. You should post this on the ideas section.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Ideas/idb-p/streaming_ideas

This works fine on my devices.  I have a 2TB MyCloud providing content to a WD TV Live Hub (bedroom) and a WD TV Live SMP (den).  I can pause a movie in one room and resume from that point in the other room. 

Is your MyCloud set up with your SMP as a network share or local divice? 

Is your SMP currently on the latest firmware?  If not, what firmware is it on (so I can roll back my device to try it out).  

Also, the difference is that I use 2 SMPs,so I am not sure how they play with eachother on the medialibrary front?

blammo79,

In my setup, the MyCloud is a network share for both my WDTV Live Hub and Live SMP and all devices are on the latest firmware.  So there is only one content provider for both WDTV Live devices. The MyCloud is linked to the WDTV Live Hub and Live SMP via wifi for one room and via powerline ethernet to the other room.  Pausing a movie on one device and resuming at the same point on the other device seems to be the norm, at least from what I have seen.

Are you pulling content from different devices/shares?

Thanks SlimyPizza,

That is interesting.  Do know if you connect to  your MyCloud with Windows Shares, Linux Shares or Mac Shares?  

Also, I am wondering if it is an issue with 2 SMPs as oppose to your setup with is only 1 SMP and a Hub.  

Also, to anyone reading this, if you have the same setup with 2 SMPs and can Resume play on multiple devices and Don’t have the current firmware, can you relay what version you are using so I can try that?

Thanks, and  will keep looking for an answer.  I think the problem might lie in the Media Library option of the SMP when using more than one device.  

After further research and doing a firmware rollback I have come up with some conclusions:

1. The current firmware does not support this feature.  I believe it actually may have been removed, which is disappointing.  I think it is a valuabe feature and would encourage people to buy multiple WDTV SMP devices if it worked.

2. Upon rolling back to 1.16.13 I was able to get resume play across devices through the Media Library method.  However it only worked with one device was plugged in at a time.  

3. The moment that 2 devices are plugged in and connected to the network, I would no longer be able to resume play on mutiple devices.  My guess is that the Library would become corrupt in some way.  I am not sure how to troubleshoot exactly why this is happening. 

My guess is that the .wdtv folder/files that are created through the Media Library Compilation process cannot function properly with 2 SMPs.  I guess it could be possible for a hub to handle that information differently.

If anyone else has thoughts about who to get 2x SMPs to resume play through a common Network Share on a Windows7 machine, let me know.  Thanks