Request for Information from those having issues with Netflix

To those users having issues with Netflix not working in the UK. 

Symptoms include:

• Unable to access Netflix at all after update
  • 502 Error
  • Intermittent Logout

WD is presently working on a fix for this.  However, there may be multiple issues involved in why Netfix isn’t working on your devices.  The above symptons actually indicate that. Consequently, the fix we’re working on may or may not work on all the UK devices having the above problems.  Therefore, we are in need of more information.

For those of you having these issues, if you could please post replies with the answers to the following questions, it would be a tremendous help to us in bringing these issues to a resolution.

Questions:

1. Can you please describe the specific problem you are experiencing with Netflix?
  2. Where are you located?
  3. What FW version were you on when you came across this issue?
  • If 1.07.15 Please try to go up to 1.07.18 and validate if the issue is still there.
  1. Are you connecting to any other US-based content providers? (Vudu, CinemaNow)
  • Did you connect to this service prior to accesing Netflix?
  1. Are you using Unblock-US or OpenDNS to access the US Netflix service?
  • Does this problem occur when you use one of the DNS clients?
  • Does the problem occur regardless of using one of the DNS clients?
  1. Within Netflix, does the issue occur before or after the login screen?
  2. What router are you using?
  3. What kind of network  (Cable, DSL)
  4. Who is your Internet Service Provider?
  5. Is Netflix working with any other devices (PC, laptop)?

Note:  If you are not having issues with Netflix in the UK, or if you aren’t going to answer the questions, please don’t post here.  Please keep all replies relevant to answering the above questions only.   

Thank you. 

WD

3 Likes

Hi Bill, Hope this helps

1.   Netflix app opens and loads but then brings up 502 error  and says unable to connect to Netflix and shows a try again tab ,but when you press retry it brings up same message. all this seems to happen withhin the app as the netflix bar is at the top.

2.   West Midlands UK.

3.   Firmware 1.07.18  at moment and same problem. since owning the unit in February i have updated firmware twice but  Netflix UK has never worked on any of the firmwares with my default DNS.

4 . I can go on collage sports , Flixster, Vimeo  i think there US based. 

5 . i am using my default DNS which is set by my Router then my isp i guess, But i will say that i did get Netflix US working on the device when i used the Unblock-US DNS (when programmed the unblock DNS into the Wdtv network settings) . then when you change it back to your own normal DNS you could access Netflix UK but then the Wdtv device will be deactivated from Netflix UK after a couple of hours or next time you log on.   So its like you log/learn  the device onto the Netflix US site using the Unblock-US but then when you stop using Unblock-US DNS the device is kicked.

1. Before Login , see Q1.

2. Router is a D-link    Dir-615.

3. Cable.

4. Virgin Media.

5. Netflix works on 2 laptops and 1 tower  in the house , and if i do( ip config ) on them they use same DNS as my router which also has my Wdtv player connected.

1. The problem: Need to reactivate my device as it become deactivated.

2. UK

3. 1.07.18 latest

4. No - use iPlayer though with the exiting half a minute or so before the end bug.

5. No.

6. The error occurs on loading the programme.  For example I click on ‘24’ the progress bar gets to about 15% along, pauses, and I get the error.  If I press ‘back’ on the remote fast enough and retry then it works (sometimes).

7. Zyxel P-660HN-F1Z

8. DSL at about 17Mb/sec actual.

9. Xilo

10. Works fine no problems on our iPad2 and Xoom (android) tablets using WiFi just like the WDTV.

Hello,

I have already passed this information to customer support but for clarity;

1. Can’t log on to Netflix.
  2. Basildon, Essex, UK.
  3. I have never been able to log on to the UK Netflix with any firmware version.
  4. No.
  5. No. I was able to log on to the US Netflix when using unblock-US although my trial period of unblock-US has now expired.
  6. Before the login screen. I get error 502.
  7. VirginMedia Super Hub (NETGEAR VMDG480).
  8. Broadband Cable.
  9. VirginMedia.
  10. Yes, fine on both of my laptop PC’s. 

Regards

Hayden

Hi Bill,

Answers.

1. “Error 502” when I try to connect run the Netflix application, after several seconds of Netlfix initial screen.

2. Near Usk, South Wales, UK.

3. 1.07.15 originally.  Tried 1.07.18 and the rollback to 15 then 16.  Nothing has worked.

4. Not tried.

5. Tried other DNS servers apart from default ISP one. Nothing worked.

6. Before login. No Neflix account details are asked for before error occurs.

7. Linksys WAG320N

8. ADSL

9. Sky Broadband Connect

10. Netflix works superbly with PC, PS3 and Samsung tablet.

Good luck.

Hi Bill,

Answers.

1. “Error 502” when I try to connect run the Netflix application, after several seconds of Netlfix initial screen.
  2. Kenilworth, Warwickshire, UK
  3. 1.07.15 (worked only after DNS unblock-us work around) & 1.07.18. (never worked at this version).
    I did full factory reset as well but this didn’t help and since I did this as a last resort it no longer works.
  4. No only using Netflix.
  5. Asa result of the 502 error I used the unblock-USA DNS which worked for a while but now no longer works at all.
  6. Before login. No Neflix account details are asked for before error occurs.
  7. BT Home Hub 2
  8. ADSL
  9. BT Infinity 2 (Fibre @ 78 Mbs!).
  10. Netflix works well with Three laptops, One Desktop and Two Ipods - all connected via the same router. Some wired and some wireless.

Regards,

N.

1. Intermittently asking me to renter my login details. Get’s 25% loading a video.
  2. UK
  3. 1.07.15 - since February
  4. No
  5.  I have played around with unlblockUS this week, and that does a similar thing but also sometimes just sits on the main Netflix loading screen
  6.  After connecting and choosing a video to play. Gets 25% loading a video, then says it’s been deactivated and I need to enter my login details again
  7. Netgear W3000   
  8. Cable
  9. Virgin Media
  10. Works fine on 360, PS3, iPad

I have 2 WD Live Streamers one works ok with Netflix UK and the other one dosen’t both have latest Firmware the only difference is the model numbers.

WDBGXT0000NBK - 01 - UESN …this one works fine with Netflix UK bought from Currys…

WDBGXT0000NBK - 01 - EESN…this one dosen’t work with Netflix and displays the 502 error when trying to access Netflix. I purchased this from a UK company online

http://www.tbdol.co.uk/western-digital-wdbgxt0000nbk-tv-live-streaming-media-player-p-6319.html. When you lookup the codes it says.

The UESN and EESN  isn’t actually on the device its on the box the device came in.

UESN is UK and EESN is European …I have contacted the company I purchased the device from and asked them to replace it with the UESN model as there must be some code burn’t into the device to disable Netflix UK. Please can someone let me know if I am wrong about this and if theres a fix. It would save me a lot of trouble…

Would also like to add that I have had both boxes working with US Netflix using us-unblock. But its a bit hit and miss as you keep having to reactivate the devices on the us-unblock web site and its only a trial which runs out in a week.

Hello,

I too purchased mine from a UK online retailer but I’ve just had a look at the box and the sticker does indeed have EESN not UESN.

Hmmm…

Regards

Hayden

My non -working WD SMP also has a EESN - if anything turns on this !

1. Error 502 unable to connect to Netflix in UK

2. Buckinghamshire in the UK

3. 1.07.18 now but have tried ALL available firmwares.

4. Can connect to any other service OK that I should be able to from the UK

5. No

6. Before login screen

7. BT Infinity Home Hub V3

8. BT Infinity vdsl

9. BT

10. Netflix works OK on my other WD Live Tv, PC, ipod & Xbox 360

Both working and none working WD Live Tvs are P/N: WDBGX0000NBK-01 Model: WDBGXT0000NBK-UESN

1. Intermittently asking me to renter my login details. Get’s 25% loading a video.
  2. UK
  3. 1.07.18-
  4. No
  5. No
  6. after
  7. virgin hub
  8. cable
  9. virgin
  10. laptop

If you are seeing the 502 error message please respond (or private message me) with your Netflix ESN and SMP serial number?

The Netflix ESN can be found at Setup- About- Online Service Info. And the serial number is found at Setup-About-Device Info.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Please just private message those serial numbers to KathyG.

2 Likes

Done by PM

Re: Request for Information from those having issues with Netflix [ New ]

Options

1. Error 502 unable to connect to Netflix in UK

2. Cavan,Ireland

3. 1.07.18 now but have tried ALL available firmwares.

4. Can connect to any other service 

5. No

6. Before login screen

7. netopia router

8. 8mb dsl

9. vodafone

10. Yes working on PC,XBOX,PS3.

Hello,

Here’s my “contribution”:

1. Start Netflix applet, ticks over for a few seconds then comes up with the error 502 screen.

2. Location is Berkshire, England.

3. 1.07.15 then upgraded to 1.07.18 with same failure.

4. No

5. Changed router DNS settings to either my ISP DNS (Be Unlimited), OpenDNS with no success. tried the UnBlockUS successfully until they closed the “public access” - i would login in Netflix US, logout, change the DNS back to a “UK” provider and be able to access Netflix UK.

6. Issue occurs before the login screen

7. WDTV connects to D-Link DIR655 then to the BeUnlimited supplied ADSL router.

8. ADSL / LLU

9. BeUnlimited

10. Works with PC (Windows7), netbook (Windows7), Nintendo Wii

I have two units acting up with the same issue in the same way. I’ll PM Kathy the other information required.

Regards,

1. Hangs at 25% video loading then tells me the device has been deactivated
  2. UK
  3. 1.03.10 through to 1.07.18 inclusive
  4. No
  5. No, I’m using the UK version of Netflix
  6. After
  7. Cisco Linksys E4200
  8. Cable 100Mbit down, 10Mbit up
  9. Virgin Media
  10. Yes, works flawlessly with Xbox 360, iPad (3rd gen), Asus Transformer Prime, iPhone, PC except for a brief period on the iPad app which was fixed very quickly

Can you please describe the specific problem you are experiencing with Netflix?

-After selecting a show/movie on Netflix the progress bar will hang at 25% for a minute or more then prompt with a message that the device has been deactivated.  Re-typing username and password will resolve the issue, but this happens every day and is a big inconvenience.

Where are you located?

-Jersey City, NJ

What FW version were you on when you came across this issue? If 1.07.15 Please try to go up to 1.07.18 and validate if the issue is still there.

-1.07.18 .  Issue remains.

Are you connecting to any other US-based content providers? (Vudu, CinemaNow) Did you connect to this service prior to accesing Netflix?

-No

Are you using Unblock-US or OpenDNS to access the US Netflix service? Does this problem occur when you use one of the DNS clients?

-No

Within Netflix, does the issue occur before or after the login screen?

• After selecting Netflix from the services menu the app will open like normal.  It load previous watched list, instant queue etc. and lets me select what I want to see.  It is not until it tries to load the show/movie that the issue occurs.

What router are you using?

-Belkin Wireless N+ 802.11n Router connected via wifi

What kind of network (Cable, DSL)

-Cable

Who is your Internet Service Provider?

-Comcast
Is Netflix working with any other devices (PC, laptop)?

Netflix works fine on PC, laptop, Xbox, iPhone 4S and Kindle Fire.   We only have issues with the WD TV Live.

1. Error 502 after a few seconds when launching Netflix

2. Stirling

3. 1.07.15, still present on 1.07.18

4. MLB.COM

5. No

6. Before

7. SAGEM 2504

8. ADSL

9. Sky

10. Yes - laptop, Roku & iPad