RCA and HDMI outputs

This is a general question that may not apply to the current WDTV device (but it might  - not sure)

I have 2 old players and the current model

I am using one of the old style players as a Media renderer (I think this is the term) under DLNA.  Music is streamed from a PC with software on it that finds the WDTV player (over my network).  I use the RCA outputs  (yellow, red, white via mini plug - actually jsut red and white) to the amplifier to play music.  Works fine.  Can remote control via the PC, etc. Cool beans.

I have another old style WDTV player hooked to a TV with HDMI - works also. Mainly for movies.

It might be nice to be able to stream music to this device also.  There is a stereo close to the WDTV.

So the question is, can one use the HDMI to the TV and the RCA’s to a stereo without having to reconfigure the WDTV each time I make a switch - ie sometime I use the TV and sometimes I want to play music (but not simultaneously).?

I should think not but thought I would ask.

Or is there a work around>  - reconfiguring the device by having to turn on the tv each time and go through the menus, is not desirable.

Thanks

You can do that as long as you’re OK with Stereo output. Digital passthrough on HDMI and analog output simultaneously is not supported.

The answer is yes you can if stero out is all you want. In settings under audio change the output to stereo and you will get audio out from hdmi and the red/white from the mini din connector.

Thanks. Bose wave radio and 21" TV in a bedroom or just fine in stereo