Quick question from a new owner

Hi guys, I have a WD TV live HUB, and never had an issue. Now, I’ve picked up a WD TV Live (WDBHG700000nbk) for my parents, in hopes that it would be simple and easy to operate.

The first thing I did when starting it up was upgrade to the latest firmware. Everything seems to work pretty well, however…

The startup/boot up is rather slow. The first splash screen with the clouds and moon lasts about 25 seconds. Then the box shuts iself off, giving my TV a “no signal” input for about 15 seconds. Then the box comes back on, this time with a different splash scree, and proceeds to “connecting network” for about 45 seconds. After 1:25 seconds, I’m good to go.

Is that a normal startup time? Seems a little on the long side…

My second question is: should the menu/browsing lag sometimes? I’ve never seen it happen on my Hub, but I find that once in a while, the whole OS will lag out and it has actually frozen on me. Forcing me to hard reboot the box by pulling the A/C.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post, just looking to see if I should fire this thing back to the store and have it replaced.

Thanks very much!

madboymatt wrote:

… The startup/boot up is rather slow. The first splash screen with the clouds and moon lasts about 25 seconds. Then the box shuts iself off, giving my TV a “no signal” input for about 15 seconds. Then the box comes back on, this time with a different splash scree, and proceeds to “connecting network” for about 45 seconds. After 1:25 seconds, I’m good to go.

Is that a normal startup time? Seems a little on the long side…

You are completely shutting down the unit instead of putting it into sleep mode. Sleep mode will boot faster but keep power running to the unit. 

From page 47 in the manual:

Don’t hold the power button down for so long.

-P

1 Like

Wow, this makes sense. Looking into it now, I would rather shut the device completely down since I have a 2.5’’ ext HD connected to the box, and I don’t want the hard drive to be spinning all the time if it’s not in use.

Thanks very much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

madboymatt wrote:> My second question is: should the menu/browsing lag sometimes? I’ve never seen it happen on my Hub, but I find that once in a while, the whole OS will lag out and it has actually frozen on me. Forcing me to hard reboot the box by pulling the A/C.

Hi dude!

Regarding your second question…, have you been using YouTube??  I learnt recently from another member (Mr-Wolf) that the YouTube Leanback Service has a memory leak. Basically speaking the more you use YouTube the slower your SMP will become until it causes the symptoms you mention or completely crashes the SMP.

I struggled with this problem for almost a month when I first bought my device however the advice given to me by Mr-Wolf was to power down the device fully as you have been doing i.e… press and hold the ON/OFF button on remote for 5 seconds. This cause the memory to be released back to the SMP device when next started.

Alternatively you can also get around this lag/memory leak issue by removing the AC lead at shut down or simply stop using YouTube until we have a fix.

If I recall this bug was introduced with the latest firmware?!

Slinky