Pros and Cons of DLNA/UPNP v. Network Shares

I have often wondered what the pros and cons are of viewing video using DLNA or using network shares. Any views anyone?

thanks

BGB

Just a couple of things i can think of … about DLNA

Cons

* One major one …  Dvd / Bd  *.iso    Most DLNA do not support it   >  Network Shares do support it

* No metadata display  ie. movie/tv show info … DLNA doesent serve *.xml files  > Network Shares do

* Duration display of video files looks weird using DLNA eg. HH:MM:ЅЅ:FF  “02:00:58:058”  in all views

Network shares > Display “120 Minutes” in browsing views and HH:MM:ЅЅ  “02:00:00” in video playback views.

* Thumbnails ? i can’t get them to display using DLNA  (Network Shares … they work fine)

Pros about DLNA ?   Easy to setup / Compatible with any DLNA device eg. Smart TV / Bluray Player/ PS3 etc.

many thanks Joey, so network shares seem to be a lot more flexible. Thats the way to go then .

Cons: subtitle files usually have to be embedded into the file.

another thing about DLNA that I don’t like

It may not support lossless FLAC music files.  I play FLAC as opposed to lossy and lower quality mp3 files.  

As said before, playing ISO’s of DVDs is also a problem with DLNA

Sometimes I have seen problems with FFing and RWing with DLNA as well

cons - poorly designed DNLA apps take control of your WD, displaying pictures, etc …

that you have not necessarily wanted to display (wink: anybody remember those post, there’s been more than one compaint about this)

cons - if the DNLA server does not send proper metadata, then WD does not know what it is playing, causes audio to be heard, but can’t see video

pros - can use any 3rd party dnla control point to start playback on WD

I like the meta-data that DLNA servers provide.  For instance, assume I want to watch a movie with Sean Connery.  I can have the server show the movies that I have with him.  It can also provide selections on Year of release, Director, and other selections.  I use both Plex and Serviio.

Just a note.  The reason I use both serviio and plex is that serviio keeps track of the last episode of a tv show I’ve watched, and plex is able to serve up FLAC files that, for some reason, serviio isn’t able to do.

when you say, metadata I think we’re clearly talking about 2 different things

I’m talking about metadata as discussed here

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/This-is-Sharing-Content-from-Windows-Solved-well-not-really/m-p/709672/highlight/true#M29866

like this

# upnp-meta /usr/share/videoscreensaver/sample-screensaver.avi
<DIDL-Lite xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/"><item id="3/usr/share/videoscreensaver/sample-screensaver.avi" parentID="3/usr/share/videoscreensaver\/" restricted="0"><dc:title>sample-screensaver.avi</dc:title><dc:date></dc:date><upnp:class>object.item.imageItem</upnp:class><dc:creator></dc:creator><upnp:genre></upnp:genre><upnp:artist></upnp:artist><upnp:album></upnp:album><res protocolInfo="file-get:*:video/avi::DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=00000000001000000000000000000000" protection="" tokenType="0" bitrate="0" duration="" size="11094054" colorDepth="0" ifoFileURI="" resolution="">file:///usr/share/videoscreensaver/sample-screensaver.avi</res></item></DIDL-Lite>
#

what you’re talking about is a database that serviio or plex create based on movie information

both are important in there own way