Problems streaming from WD My Cloud 3TB NAS to WD TV Live

Hi there - I’ve bought a WD My Cloud NAS to back up all my files, photos, videos etc. When it works it’s fantastic and I can access my files from anywhere in the wold, including from my ipad/iphone etc.

The next step for me was to access all my videos and stream to my TV via the WD TV Live. And at first it was great, in fact I was raving about it to all my friends on how wonderful this little device was and how it could play pretty much play any video format that was being thrown at it. Lo and behold, that only lasted four weeks and now everytime I try to access any files on the WD My Cloud via the Media Server, I get the dreaded

“There is no media available for playback” !!!

I’ve tried to reboot the WD TV Live numerous times without success, the same goes for the WD My Cloud (although the fact that all my other devices can access leads me to beleive it is not the WD My Cloud). I’ve got the latest firmware for both. It is for both videos and photos.

Please help as it’s driving me mad! many thanks in advance. 

I may have an idea for a solution.  You may be experiencing the Window’s issue I experienced a few years ago.  Very similar:

1.  Are you having this issue with “Media servers” or “Network shares” on the WDTV?

I will guess it’s Media servers.  This issue will come up using Media servers, not Network shares, if the problem is what I think it is.

I basically never use Media servers anymore unless it is the ONLY way to do something.  Network shares is best.

See this link to see if it helps; the more media you have stored, the more you are likely to have this issue:

Let me know how it goes. 
1 Like

Thanks Mike!

I’ll give this a go. I’m using WD My Cloud so not sure about Windows 7. But, the dashboard does give me an option to rescan/rebuild the database. I’ll give that a crack and will update.

Hopefully this will work.

Yes, and use Network Shares, and not Media servers on WDTV.

1 Like

Thank you Mike!

It worked. Thank god as I was pulling my hair out. I now have a fully functioning WD TV Live.

As you say, the problem is down to the database not being scanned. So to get it working on WD My Cloud.

Go to the dashboard → Settings → Media → Rescan/Rebuild

Wait a while as the WD My Cloud scans the database.

I didn’t need to reboot the WD TV Live. The Media Server is working okay as is Network Share.

Thanks again!

Not bad!  OK, since this is as much a My Cloud issue, why not put a brief msg in that forum with a link to this one?

Just done it, thank you. Good ID.