Problem with my HD

Hello,

Every time I unplug my hard drive from my WDTV Live, It is not recognized anymore with it. I must plug it on my Win7 computer and make a chkdsk.

I tryed unplug it after press the “eject” button on the remote control, I tryed unplug it after shutdown the WD TV Live (short press on the on/off button) and I try after shutdown the WDTV Live with a long press on the on/off button.

If I don’t repair it with chkdsk It’s not recognized anymore by the WDTV Live.

My HD : 2"5, NTFS.

It’s powered by a cell phone adapter like this one :  http://www.discount-web.fr/accessoires-iphone/62-chargeur-usb-telephone-iphone-mp3-tablette.html

Could you help me please ?

Thanks in advance

(The firmware of my WDTV is up to date)

Should I format my HD in ext4 ?

bombseb wrote:

No, NTSF is preferred for today’s large media files.

I wonder if you need to have the extra power for the HD; unless the media player does not have enough power to spin the drive, it is not necessary.  Try connecting it without the power, and you will either hear it spin up, or hear it try and retry to spin and not get there.  If this failure to spin up happens, you do need the extra power.

Disconnect the power to HD before removing the HD after ejecting the HD if not doing so already.  You should be able to eject it fine and not need to run chkdsk or scan disk for errors.  It appears that the HD is not, in fact, being properly ejected even though you seem to be doing so.

There was a similar post to this a few days ago and I’m wondering if bombseb is not properly ejecting the drive as was the case in the other post.

When you press the eject button on the remote, a green tick or checkmark will appear on the screen. You MUST also press OK on this tick before the drive ejects. The other poster thought that the green tick meant it was ok to pull out the usb plug but thats not the case. You still have to press OK.

bombseb wrote:

While ext4 is a much superior filesystem to NTFS–particularly for large media files–the SMP units do NOT support it!  They do support ext2/ext3, which I certainly would also consider superior to NTFS.  However, ext? filesystems are difficult to make use of with Windows or Mac systems, so unless you are Linux only household (as we are), NTFS is probably the safest bet.  NTFS formatted drives can quite easily be used with Linux and Mac OS X systems as well as Windows.  If you periodically defrag the drive and don’t do a lot of interspersed deleting and adding of files, you can probably keep fragmentation to a minimum and achieve reasonable read performance with it.  That being said, all of my media drives (in fact all of my harddrives) are formatted with ext4.  (Our SMPs get the files as SMB shares from a Linux server.)  In fact many people use ext4 filesystems without knowing it, since it is Google’s underlying Linux FS and also Android’s.

1 Like

Thanks ncarver for the info – you got a Kudo for that one!

AMAGAD !!

It seems to work !! I didn’t know I had to click on the green tick before unplug the HD :frowning:

Thank you all for your help :heart: