Problem with Window Shares - WD Live SMP

I have 2 WD Live Streaming Media Players, model number  WDBHG70000NBK-HESN. I’m using firmware 1.16.13

My setup includes 3 computers running Windows 7, 2 WD Live SMPs, and an Asus RT-N66U router. I have portable hard drives connected to each Media Player. I set up Windows Shares and for the past two years I have had not had any trouble streaming media files from all of my computers to WD Live SM Players. I rarely used the online services, but when I did use them, they worked.

Yesterday, I tried to use one of the WD Live SM Players to connect to my Netflix account. Network activity came to a crawl. It took about  3 minutes for the Netflix banner to pop up. After entering the login information, everything froze. The screen turned black and nothing happenned. After about 5 minutes I pressed the “Back” button on the remote and it took another 5 minutes for screen to  return to the Featured Services Menu. I then tried logging on to Youtube & Pandora with the same results. I went to the Setup screen and did a Device Restart. Once restarted I was able to connect to the services in the Featured Services Menu.    BUT , I lost my connections to my computers in Windows Shares. Now when I go into Windows Shares , on either of my WD Live SMPs, all I see is the other WD Live SMP. My computers are not there. Each of my media players can see the other media player and stream from the hard drive connected to the other Media Player, but they can’t see any of my computers in Windows Shares. I’m also am unable to copy files from my computer, via Wifi, to the drives connected to my media players

In the meantime, my computers can see each other, but can’t see the Media Players. Prior to yesterday, each of the WD Live SMPs, appeared as computers in my network. Now they only appear as Media Devices (see bleow).

Picture0001.jpg

Can anyone offer any help on getting the Media Players back on the network?

Thanks,

Well, I hope you didn’t over react and start dinking with settings that worked before, but don’t now.  That happens too often.

It sounds like to me it is time to reboot the entire network and devices, meaning properly shut down the WD media players and their drives. Remove power.  Next shut down all PCs.  Turn off router amd modem.  Wait one minute, and start turning things back on in reverse order, giving enough time for each device to be fully running before turning on the next.

Do this carefully and all will likely be fine again.  It is good practice to do this periodically anyway – just to clear out any problems that are lurking – seen or unseen.

I tried to do what you recommended yesterday, and it didn’t work. I tried it again today and it did. Go figure.

Thanks,

OK, glad you had success – let’s hope it stays that way.

Your problem may have originated from Master Browser issues; a topic of discussion in these forums from time to time.  Many of us never knew about the MB until it was brought up here.  To understand this issue, see this article and download the handy program for finding what device is the MB on your system.

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

This whole MB issue affects our WD players when neither a PC or a router is the MB, but instead, one of the WD players takes over the task (often) because no PC was left on.  Below, is a screen capture of the program mentioned above displaying the devices on my home network, and indicating which one is the master browser – it is the router:

lanscan display.JPG

As you see, I have the same router as you, and the router is the master browser. Although it does not have a setting to make it the master browser (as some routers do; e.g. current WD routers) it became the permanent master browser after I had activated its AiCloud feature AND connected a small portable drive to the router’s USB port with streamable media on it (music, videos and photos) to the router.  Anyone who has a router with a feature like this ought to set it up.  I prefer to use a drive on it that has an idle/sleep feature so the drive only spins if it is being accessed; otherwise it remains still.  I found a 1TB drive for $59 that works great for this.

I have an old portable drive lying around. I’ll attach it to the router and see if it I can get the router to be the Master Browser. Thanks for your help.

BTW, the drive does not have to be portable, but I use it 'cause it is small, can do the job and fits in the space available.