Problem playing audio with AAC 2.0 Movie files

Hi,

I recently discovered a bug. Strangely, this never happens for the past year I have been having this media player.

It would just play anything I throwed on it flawlessly.

The problem is no sound with mkv’s of AAC 2.0 sound format, and also all youtube videos being played.

I had to go to setup, switch Audio to ‘Stereo’ in order to make these AAC 2.0 files to output a sound, and also to make youtube videos to output a sound.

If I go back to ‘Digital output via Optical’ no sound will be produced…

Does anyone knows what is wrong ?

Hello, you can check the following link to see the supported formats. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2698

It is indeed listed as compatible.
I am not refering to DTS. What I am referring to is mkv movie files with AAC 2.0 audio format. It wont play the audio unless I switch to “stereo” in audio setup. Everytime I want to play it.

So how is your WDTV connected? Does your TV or AVR support AAC? If not, of course the WDTV has to downmix to stereo.

I also tried streaming a movie MKV video tonight that had AAC 2.0 audio. Video played fine but no sound. I went into:

Setup > Audio/Video Output > Audio Output and I had it on Digital-Pass-Through via HDMI On. I then tried Stereo and nothing.

Should it always be on Stereo or Digital-Pass-Through via HDMI only? Btw, what is Digital-Pass-Through via Optical only?

Tech, my WDTV SMP is connected through optical cable to a Yamaha amplifier.

The amplifier then distributes to the 5.1 speakers & sub.

I do not know whether the yamaha supports AAC or not, but I do knowthese do not happen for the past months I owned this WDTV SMP. Every kind of movie with any format and audio format would just play. And with sound.

The problem is only happening to movie files with AAC 2.0 as its audio format.

I also am very sure, that youtube was performing flawlessly, with audio. Now? the youtube only plays with audio if I go through setup and choose ‘stereo’ for audio connection.

bal1985 wrote:

I also tried streaming a movie MKV video tonight that had AAC 2.0 audio. Video played fine but no sound. I went into:

Setup > Audio/Video Output > Audio Output and I had it on Digital-Pass-Through via HDMI On. I then tried Stereo and nothing.

Should it always be on Stereo or Digital-Pass-Through via HDMI only? Btw, what is Digital-Pass-Through via Optical only?

Digital pass through via optical, means if you connect your wdtv to tv/amplifier through optical cable.

What’s your setting? Do you use amplifier?

If you use amplifier, have you tried choose ‘stereo’ on amplifier as well ?

You guys should upload the Mediainfo text output on one of those files that don’t play for you. The WDTV does AAC when set to stereo. It maybe a bad mux, though. MKVToolnix says:

Warning: AAC files may contain HE-AAC / AAC+ / SBR AAC audio. This can NOT be detected automatically. Therefore you have to specifiy ‘–aac-is-sbr 0’ manually for this input file if the file actually contains SBR AAC. The file will be muxed in the WRONG way otherwise. Also read mkvmerge’s documentation.

Go into audio settings and see if the Yamaha has been checked as AAC compatible, if so uncheck it, the WD will then send PCM instead of AAC.

3 Likes

Thanks caldirun! That solved my problem :slight_smile:
No more audio problem with youtube and aac 2.0 files

have similar problem. AVR is harman kardon. Unchecked the AAC , but no sound. When i select STEREO on WD instead of HDMI only, then sound comes, but no DTS on other files, sound **bleep**. Problem is that this hasn’t been there before, AAC and mp4 files played well, but it changed all of a sudden…Any treatment to this?

So far only a rollback will help until WD fixes this.

can u pls advise how to roll back the firmware? thanks!

ajish82 wrote:

can u pls advise how to roll back the firmware? thanks!

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860