Playing .MKV files

Hey guys, kind of continued from my last thread a few weeks ago

I’m connecting now, can see all the files on my laptop but seems like media player is not updating.

Not sure how to describe this, I can see newly added .MKV files but I’m getting a message saying:

Unable to play selected file. Please see user manual for list of supported file formats

So I changed the file name thinking it might be too long or off characters but file name on the media center don’t update or change?

.MKV files that were added a few days ago or from the original connection play fine.

I can move the newly added files to different folders and they show up, I can see them but still show the original file name not the name I changed it to??

What I’ve done

Powercycle the media player

Powercyled my router

uninstalled K-Lite for the codec and reinstalled.

Any more idea’s?

Thanks in advance

Ok this sounded about like my problem here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/New-MKV-files-stall-media-library-compile/m-p/611457#M24180
  1. Turn off Media Library Compilation

2. Reset factory defaults

No cigar but resetting defauls should have cleared settings wrong on the media center?

Tells me the issue is on my laptop anything I’m missing?

Media Library won’t have anything to do with it if you’re using a Media Server, which is what it sounds like?

Media Library is only relevent to Network Shares or local storage.

The files are on my laptop so wouldn’t that be considered networked?

Mainly what it seems like I’m seeing is new files added won’t play.

But its limited to .MKV’s?

I can move MP3’s around no problem

Move MKV files around no problem, they are seen but won’t play and if I change the file names on my laptop of the MKV files they won’t change on the media player

It’s how you’re accessing them. What’s your content source set to? The red button will allow you to choose.

Been accessing via Media Server

Would much prefer network share but I gave up on that with incorrect password errors.

Any idea’s on either would be welomed. I get the feeling network share would be a lot easier would it not?

Ok small update, maybe a step forward but thought I’d share.

Removed the shared folder from the video library (Windows 7) added the folder back to library and file names for the .MKV files are showing up correctly, showing up as what I renamed the files as.

Still won’t play but if I rename a file it won’t change until I delete and readd the to the video library.

Hope this helps

Ok another update

All solved

Kind of

Everythings playing, took me password protecting the account on the laptop to get the media center to see the network share???

So, only question I have now is how to I get the media center to see the share without the account having a password?

Don’t wish to have a password on the laptop but if thats the only way its a small price to pay I guess.

Share the folder with the reserved user “Everyone” and turn off password protected sharing in the Advanced Sharing settings.

You mean username “Everyone”

Sorry if I’m not following

Right click the folder you want to set a Share on.

Select “Share With…”

Select “Specific People…”

In the Dropdown, select “Everyone”

then click the share button.

Rightr click the folder. Click “Share with”. Select “Everyone”

Oops sorry Tony.

I see what you guys are saying now

That’s not where my problem is

Windows Share and promted for username password.

If I put in the account name and leave the password blank I get “Invalid password”

If I password protect the account on the laptop now and add the passwrod in media center, BINGO I’m in.

I’d like to keep the laptop without a password

I don’t know if we have been here before but if you don’t have a user name / password then you leave the boxes with the default info - you don’t touch them at all. If you have played with them you will have to clear the login info in the menu.

Setup / network settings /clear saved network share login.

You can go down and tick the remember me box after you have it working but leave username as anonymous and password as row of ** exactly as they are.

Thanks rich

I tried that which was why I gave up on network share the first time (few weeks back) and I tried it again today after reseting factory defaults too.

Finally, I just put a password on the account for giggles to see if it would work and low and behold, it worked to my surprise.  I like the layout better this way.

If you think it’s worth trying again by clearing login info I will?

@kirk1701

Assuming you have your WIndows folder-sharing set correctly, read the first post at this link.  It is a clear and understandable way to resolve problems with WD Network shares and passwords:  Basically you don’t need passwords unless you set things up that way.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/How-to-resolve-Network-shares-access-problems/m-p/551112#M19218

Thanks milke

It’s working at the moment but password protection is set to on so, I don’t want to change anything right now. I have a new router coming in mail I just bought online and going to have to set it up anyways, when it gets here and I have the time (Mid week) I’ll give this a try and post the results. :wink:

No Cigar Mike

Got the new router yesterday so I dove in and got it set up this morning.

Got my Tivo, printer, laptop all reconfigured and onto the WD Media center. Once I got the wireless configured and it connecting to the new router and could still see the network share WITH a password I followed your instructions.

Cleared the login info

Removed the password from the laptop

Turned off password protected sharing on the laptop

That should do it right?

Went back through the setting up of a network share but all it see’s is the public folder on the C drive, no network shares.

I tried a few different ways, when it asks for account I left it blank, anonymous and put the account name in. Each way leaving password blank. No go

Reversed the above, password protected the laptop and everythings there again, no problem re establishing the connection as long as it has a password.

I’m officially stumped

Sorry to know things are still not working out.  I do think you are a bit confused, too; maybe even “officially” confused.  :wink:

You did not follow my instructions correctly – never did I say to remove the password from the laptop.  A password is essential, and the fact that it is present on the PC is irrelevant.  Keep it there.

Now, I am wondering if you have Windows advanced sharing set up correctly.  Here is a screenshot of the settings another member posted recently.  Everything shows in this pic except the bottom setting regarding Homegroup setting, and for that do not allow Windows to manage the setting (even though it is “reccomended”).  In fact, do not turn on Homegroups elsewhere in the Windows setup – you need a “traditional” network sharing setup, and not the one that is specific to Windows.  So, turn off Homegroups if it was set on.

Also, do you know for sure you have set up your shared folders, etc. corretly in Windows, as well as have you set up the WD’s Discovery tool that came with your media player?  Finally, do you have a complete copy of the PDF file of the User manual for your WD media player, either from the included CD or downloaded from the support center?

We might both be miss communicating mike

That’s ok, notice my third post down on this page:

I’d like to keep the laptop without a password

That’s the problem, not the HD media player, as long as the laptop has a password on the account. Remove password and media player can’t connect to share?

It’s just me, no need for the laptop to be password protected so I really don’t care to have it password protected and besides, noting important on it I keep that on the PC or a vault.

As for the screenshot, YES thats how I had it yesterday and all I did to get it back connecting was turn on password protecting sharing again and put the password back on the laptop.

Again,

Thanks for the help and sorry for the miss communcations.

Joe

EDIT

Ok, allow Windows to manage homegroup is set to default, is turned on and I do have a homegroup. Is that going to make a difference or is the laptop still going to have to be password protected?