Options button no longer responds

I have been using my unit, latest firmware, for about a year.  I was on XP and had the sharing set to allow editing.  That allowed me to delete videos with the remote after viewing them.  I have changed now to Windows 8 64 bit, set again to allow editing but the options button on my remote now does nothing.  As I have the PC set to allow editing, is there something on the WD unit that might need resetting?  I am puzzled.

Batteries?  I’m serious!!

If they don’t need replacing, then at least try removing them and re-inserting them. It might reset the remote?

if it was Batteries, then none of the remote buttons would work.

To test if the remote control ‘option’ button is working and sending a signal, grab a digital camera point the remote at it, press the ‘option’ button and you should see the remote led sender (at the top of the remote) flash white while looking through the digital camera lcd view finder.

1 Like

When you say the options button does nothing do you mean that now nothing happens at all when you press it or you see the option to delete but it does not delete the file when you select that option.

When I say it does not respond, I mean it is as if it were dead. The batteries are good. I use it for all other functions and all buttons work well, as did this one before I changed my PC to Windows 8 about a week ago. Windows8 is quite different than XP for setting up permissions and sharing, but I am sure that end is properly set up. In the past, if they were not properly set up the options button would still show all the related choices but they might not work. In my new situation absolutely nothing comes up. Defective hand control? I don’t think so because this happened at the exact time I switched to Windows 8. So, batteries good, single options button suddenly unresponsive. It does seem very odd, hence my post here. I appreciate the suggestions.

How are you accessing your Content?   What’s your Content Source set to (Red button)? 

If you’re trying to use Media Servers, I don’t think the options button does anything.

1 Like

Joey Smyth: Wow, what a neat trick. Yes, the lights flash very clearly when I press the options button. Thanks.

TonyPH: Yes, I am using media servers. If what you say is correct then that is the problem. I will try to change that. Being new to Windows 8 I used what seems to work. Everything else worked using the media servers button. I used that because I was having trouble getting my Network Share button to work. It takes me to Windows Shares as it used to. I select that and the little arrow circles without end. Do you know if WDTV Live has an issue with Windows 8? Windows 8 offers a password for sharing, but I can see nowhere to enter it on the WD unit. There is a password section but I thought that was for my wifi so did not want to mess with that. Your focus seems to be correct so I hope we can work through to a resolution. Thanks for responding.

Addressing a separate issue described in another post of mine, I have solved this. I was only able to use Media Servers to view videos on my PC but that meant my options button did not work. By correcting my workgroup settings on my PC to match my WD unit, I was again able to use Network Share to access the PC using Windows Shares. My options button came back to life and I am now back to normal. Thanks to all who offered help and advice. Bottom line, in my experience when using Network Share the options button does not work.

Buddyboy_4 wrote:
Bottom line, in my experience when using Network Share the options button does not work.

I think you have it backwards. :wink:  When browsing using Media Server, the options button doesn’t work (because it’s not supposed to) for videos.   There are one or two options when browsing photos & music using Media Servers…

You are right, Tony. I get confused with all these terms. Hopefully this post will assist others in this regard.