Opensubtitles.org or any other service

Hello guys,

First of all please let me say hello, I’m a newcomer.

I’ve just bought SMP and I like it quite much, but what bothers me, is its inability to auto-downloading subtitles. Is it possible to configure SMP to search and then get proper subtitles matching movies i.e. using meta-source manager?  Thanks for your assistance. Regards, M.

Just a quick google search *are subtitles illegal* …   (which probably explains why the WDTV has NO auto-subtitle download feature)

The general concensus is the entertainment industry considers subtitles as intellectual property and are copyrighted works, therefore downloading, distributing them is copyright infringement.

Thank you for your reply, but I can not agree with you.

Frankly, concerning about copyright law protection sounds like a poor excuse to me while developing a NMT playing any file format.

Quick google search unveils:

" OpenSubtitles.org (“this website”) offers direct downloads off our own server. These files are NOT illegal warez downloads, we only offer files that we believe we are free to redistribute. If any doubt occurs about the legality of any of our file downloads we will take them off right away after contacting us. We do not offer any kind of video/movie (avi, divx, xvid…) files or audio (mp3, wma, waw) files - we mainly provide movie’s subtitles translated by users. Commercial use prohibited."

General consensus you quoted seems much more complicated when you repulse and then consider it again.

Primo, I believe it is a good manner to let the users make their own choices how to use some features (vide using DivX, MKV - SMP is a great tool to watch pirated movies, but does anyone force you to do it? Nah, you decide). That’s why mede8er or popcornhour support auto-matching and downlading subtitles directly from services like opensubtitles.org. Almost all software players do it as well.

Secundo, user-made translations do not violate copyrights. Everyone can make a translation and share it to the world. That’s why opensubtitles.org or other services exist.

Tertio, this explanation (*subtitles are illegal*) deeply touches disabled people who are not able to hear or can hear badly. Smells like a disabled or handicaped prejudice. That’s seems not correct and, frankly, should be illegal.

Hope I did not offend anyone and want to believe you got me straight like I tried to get through and share my opinion.

Best regards, M.

1 Like

No Probs … you have every right to disagree   (i just quickly posted some info i found on the internet)

Anyways, it has already been submitted as an idea 2 years ago here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Ideas/Subtitles-retrieval/idc-p/754818#M3999

You can go to http://www.subteller.com and safaly download only legacy subtitles

@ditch

The OP was whining that the WDTV doesent have the feature … 

sure, you can download subtitles for movies using your PC until the cows come home.