No sound at all ! Help me Obi wan you're my only hope!

My WD live functioned as of 3 weeks ago.  Today when I plugged in a USB drive with new movies loaded on it I get no sound at all. I loaded up the previous movie files I’d played 3 weeks ago and still no sound. Checking youtube channel and again no sound.  I tried upgrading to the newest v 2.0 firmware and no change

I hit the forums looking for answers and after trying all the sound options one by one in the setup menu still no change. I dont have a complex setup just a single hdmi from the WD Live to my TV. I tried 3 different HDMI cables and every single one of my TV imputs. Still no change. 

Menu system resets and hard resets do no change.  And a roll back to Firmware Ver 1.16.13 has also not solved my problem.  

I’m completely at a loss here because it was working just fine 3 weeks ago and no changes were made to the system between those times. 

I have been getting a weird pink screen at times. But just changing the imput to something else then going back to the imput with the WD Live solves that problem.  But I’ve read that might be a handshake problem with the HDMI. Is a handshake problem also affecting my sound??

Have you been playing around with any media Android / IOS apps ?   A lot of these apps have a Volume Control

(One thing happened to me with the Live Hub, was using Mediahouse DLNA app to stream content from my Live Hub and i set the Volume to Zero on my Tablet … which caused the Live Hub not to ouput any sound either (Exiting the app and switching the tablet off the live hub’s volume was still set to zero… took a little while to figure out what was going on)

Lastly, have you tried the Composite Cable (Red,White,Yellow)  … just as a test, to take HDMI out of the equation

I havent used any of the mobile apps didnt know about them till I was searching on here for a sound answer so I couldnt have hit a sound countrol button by mistake. Like i said i just have the WD hooked up strait to my TV and I dont even use network shares due to my low quality wireless router horrible thruput so all my movies I just load onto an 8gig USB stick when we want to watch them. 

And my composite cable is somewhere in my garage. But after moving twice its like looking for a horocrux in the room of requirment. After a 20 min search I still cant locate it. Can the HDMI just **bleep** out  just sitting there? My WD live streamer is just a year old.

Jboczar wrote:

Is a handshake problem also affecting my sound??

possibly, did you try toggling the input like you described, to see if that solves the sound issue as well

Or try connecting via HDMI to another TV if you have access to one (family, friends, neighbours etc)

I have tried it on one other TV I have in the house with HDMI imputs, I used two different cables for that experiment same problems.  Guess I’m leaning to the fact that my HDMI might be completely shot and I have no idea where my component cord is hiding.

So I’m thinking i might get an optical audio cable to see if that can be a work around for this hdmi problem worst case I’ll need to get a A/V reciver to go with my $10 optical cord I just bought from new egg right thats a good explenation for my fiance as to why I bought a $300 AV reciver right??