Advisor
volumnus

No audio when playing .avi files over Windows Network Shares

I have dozens of .avi files. Neither of my two WDTV LIVE SMP boxes will play the audio on a single one of them. The video plays perfectly. However, I can play the exact same .avi files through a DLNA media server, and they play just fine with both video and audio. Moreover, I can play my .avi files with both video and audio through the USB port from an external hard drive. The firmware update may have messed up samba. Over on the AVS forum, some people are reporting that they are getting audio from .avi files. However, those people are all wired with ethernet. I am totally wifi for the time being.

Occasional Contributor
NoiZe

Re: No audio when playing .avi files over Windows Network Shares

Same problem here. Also only on wifi. Sound also quits sometimes after a couple of minutes. 

Sometimes a reboot works, sometimes it won't.

☆ make beer, not war ☆
Advisor
retrobot

Same thing here.  I use windows share over wifi.  ALL of my avis play really choppy and have no sound.  If I play directly off a local drive they play fine.  I really hope they fix it soon.  I can stream a 720p mkv over wifi but cant play a 700 mb avi.  :smileysad:

Advisor
volumnus

The problem with .avi audio only began after the last firmware update.

I am thinking of rolling back the firmware, but I'd rather see a firmware update to correct the problem. .AVI support is crucial. Many of us will simply take the product back. We have until Jan. 24th at BestBuy.

Regular Visitor
chortle

Same problem here...fix quickly!

Advisor
volumnus

Here is a link to the WD site that shows how to rollback the firmware.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live...

Somebody should give it a try to see if it corrects the issue. I am about to wire my network. Several people are reporting that the audio issue are related to wifi. I want to see if wiring the network resolves the issues before rolling back my firmware.

Thanks.

Advisor
retrobot

Re: Here is a link to the WD site that shows how to rollback the firmware.

FYI - ive tried wired too and it does the same thing.  Seems to only work when using a local drive.

Advisor
volumnus

What about Dolby 5.1 surround?

Are you affected by that bug too like I am?

Advisor
volumnus

For me .avi audio will work using a media server.

AVI audio works using Windows Media Server or using a third party media server like Serviio. It's clearly a network shares issue. Thanks for clearing the wired vs. wifi issue. I will definitely rollback now.

Advisor
volumnus

Rolling back the firmware did NOT resolve the issue with .avi audio over network shares wifi.

My suggestion is to use a media server if possible or take the product back.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD