No audio when playing .avi files over Windows Network Shares

Same problem here…fix quickly!

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live

Somebody should give it a try to see if it corrects the issue. I am about to wire my network. Several people are reporting that the audio issue are related to wifi. I want to see if wiring the network resolves the issues before rolling back my firmware.

Thanks.

FYI - ive tried wired too and it does the same thing.  Seems to only work when using a local drive.

Are you affected by that bug too like I am?

AVI audio works using Windows Media Server or using a third party media server like Serviio. It’s clearly a network shares issue. Thanks for clearing the wired vs. wifi issue. I will definitely rollback now.

My suggestion is to use a media server if possible or take the product back.

There are workarounds but this is a bug and needs to be fixed.  If your having this problem please go and vote on it so we can get it fixed.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/AVI-files-shutter-and-lose-sound-when-played-over-network-share/idi-p/319539

questions related to this thread:

I have one of these on its way along with a new HDMI cable for my bedroom setup.

What I’m wondering is, is there a firmware revision that was released that enabled network shares that does NOT have the audio issues with AVI’s over the network? (something inbetween the original and the most recent?) If so, which version? Is it still downloadable for a manual install? If there was, but it’s not available online for download, can someone send it to me? I’d like this functionality to work from day 1 without having to wait for a new revision. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the issue, but my guess is, that my unit will ship with the very first revision of the firmware and thus will need to be updated in order to see network shares. Streaming these types of file formats over my network is why I bought this unit over a 2nd Apple TV 2 and continuing to have to transcode content or jailbreaking it.

thanks in advance-

There is only one firmware revision on the website that we are able to revert to, and rolling back to it does not correct the .avi audio issue through network shares .

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live

For me…Not having avi audio is corrected by connecting my laptop to the router via ethernet. My no avi audio issue only occurs if I am using wifi to connect the source of the avi (my laptop) to the router. If I connect my laptop to the router via ethernet but connect my two SMP boxes via wifi, I can play all of my avi files with both audio and video. Clearly the network shares issue is related to wifi.

Here is a list of workarounds that all work for me if you cannot get your avi files to play WITH AUDIO on your Streaming Media Player.

1. Save the .avi files on an external hard drive or flash drive, and play them through local storage. It’s an extra step. It’s the least ideal solution.

2.Stream the files to your WDTV box using a media server. Windows has a built-in media server. You just have to enable it. You can also use a third party media server like Serviio. Works great. No extra work.

1. Connect your computer to your router with an ethernet cable. The boxes do not have to be connected via ethernet. They can still be connected to the network via wifi.

billymac

If there was, but it’s not available online for download, can someone send it to me?

AVI still works fine for me over WIFI so I’m wondering what makes the difference in your case. The rollback firmware is identical to the official firmware so if you follow this procedure you can revert back to whatever firmware is still online (though 1.03.10 supposedly should be avoided). If you go back to 1.04.12, do you get sound again?

I just purchased a WDTV Live and am having this same problem. 

All of the network shared files are detected fine, but playing .avis causes the audio to drop after just a few seconds, at which point the video stays completely mute.  Playing the same files off of the same NAS, but through the Media Server, they’ll work fine. 

Will you try one thing for me? Will you connect the source of the .avi (laptop) to your router with a wire (ethernet cable), restart everything, and give it another try. I am convinced the problem is network shares OVER WIFI FROM THE SOURCE TO THE ROUTER NOT FROM THE ROUTER TO THE WDTV BOX.

Guys, may I remind you to please remain respectful and positive to one another. Each individual contribution is based on individual experiences which may or may not reflect a particular situation or expectation.

Thank you.

Regards,

Did you try connecting the source to the router with a wire? It worked for me even though my WDTV boxes were connected via wifi.

Also, what type of router are you using? It seems our issue isn’t affecting everyone. Unfortunately, I don’t think you always get honest answers here though. A  lot of the posters here with a ton of posts actually work for WD. It’s a conflict of interest for them to admit the device is flawed.

I am using a highend router…Netgear N900, but it doesn’t make any difference. WIndows Shares on this device stinks bad all the way around.

Since we can really only use the device with a DLNA media server, we may as well return it in favor of the Sony that only costs 49 bucks (half the price). I have until January 24th to decide since I bought both of mine at Bestbuy. I could save a hundred bucks. Both brands work fine with a media server.

* The NAS that was hosting the files was connected to the router with an ethernet cable from the outset. So that wasn’t the issue for me.

* I have a Netgear N600 router.

* I didn’t have the problem today.  The Live had been shut off for most of the day.  When I turned it back on, I cleared out the attached storage library to force a rescan.  When that was done, I tried the network file share .avis that I’d been unable to play yesterday.  This time, they worked fine.   I didn’t do a thing to my network, and I doubt a rescan of the attached USB HD would matter.  So it seems it was resolved somehow just by a reboot (unless the wifi signal strength somehow mattered, and that improved from yesterday).

I wonder if a lot of people with Netgear routers are reporting issues. I had an N600 and returned it in favor of an N900 in hopes the extra bandwidth would resolve the problems. It didn’t.

volumnus wrote:
A  lot of the posters here with a ton of posts actually work for WD.

[citation needed]

volumnus wrote:
It’s a conflict of interest for them to admit the device is flawed.

Don’t judge people by your own standards when it’s so easy to disprove you by reading my posts here on this forum. I’ve gone on the record as being annoyed with the constant flow of new bugs in firmware updates as well as that Marketing apparently is calling the shots, adding features rather than fixing bugs. Does that sound like someone unwilling to admit anything? Does that endear me to WD? Probably not. But it helps making the device better which is ALL I’m interested in.

I also have a Netgear router WNR3500L (and a Netgear Repeater), both with original firmware.

I don’t know if this is helpful, but I thought I’d share. I got my SMP last night. plugged it in, tried it out with a few files. worked great–totally stoked. Went ahead and updated the firmware and it crippled it. At least that’s what I thought, but I think I was wrong. While the SMP was updating it’s firmware (post download), I went into my router (Netgear N300) to poke around and changed the wifi max speed from 150Mbps to 300Mbps on the wirleless settings page. I was hopeful in thinking maybe I could squeeze a little more bandwith to make up for the 1-2 bar signal I’m getting in my bedroom. Anyway, after the firmware upgrade and that one change to my router I noticed issues right away. AVI’s would hardly load, no sound, choppy. What once worked just a few minutes before, now did not. Still skeptical, but willing to try anything I logged back into the router and changed the max speed back down to 150. The SMP now played the same files like it had pre-upgrade.

Anyway, I thought I would share in the hopes that maybe either A. it helps someone having the same issue, or preferrably B. WD can take a closer look at this.