No You Tube now

I turned on my WDTV Live SMP model # WDBHG70000NBK-01 last night and am no longer to watch YouTube due to upgrades by YouTube.

At Where you can’t watch: Unsupported device models YouTube apps - Android - YouTube Help they say the WD box is not affected–I guess mine is an older one.

Is there a fix or a newer WD box for viewing YouTube now?

Kim Skater

3 Likes

Good question.  We will look into this and get back to you.

1 Like

Hello there,

We have passed this along to support.

1 Like

Same error message here. Noticed it a few days ago.

Also with the same model number (WDBHG70000NBK-01)

This is the actual message:

1 Like

Hello!

I have gor the same issue! Apparently youtube has changed code, so I strongly believe that WD should fix it!

It has been over 1,5 years since they stopped upgrading firmware, and now it is time to do so!

WD should NOT forget a device that was relatively expensive, just because they are selling some newer ones now!

Customers will stop trusting such practices…

1 Like

Hi I have the same problem with my two WDTV Live Streaming devices. My wife was using one of them primarily for viewing videos on YouTube. It would be disappointing if there would not firmware upgrade to resolve the issue.

eurih70 wrote:
WD should NOT forget a device that was relatively expensive

Actually, it was and still is one of the cheaper devices…

Thank you reporting the issue with the YouTube App in WD TV.

Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported by YouTube after April 2015. For more info, please visit: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6098135?p=yt_devicesupport.

The YouTube Leanback App is still fully functional in the WD TV Media Players.

Yeah but the problem is that the Youtube Leanback app will freeze up the device after a short time.  To say it’s functioal is a real stretch.

I just received an email from WD support about my inquiry into Youtube.  From this statement from [Deleted]:

_ We are currently looking into the inconvenience discussed regarding the YouTube Leanback App. As soon as a fix is obtained, we will be releasing it in a future Firmware update. Unfortunately, we would not be able to provide you with a time frame in which this Firmware will be released. _

It does seem that there is some activity with respect to a firmware update.  Unfortunately, there is no timeframe commitment.  In spite of the fact that I am not happy with how WD has performed with respect to firmware maintenance on the SMP, they have been nothing but courteous and professional in their dealing with me via email.

I am a satisfied user of a WD TV HD Live gen 3 box.

Yes, the YouTube Leanback App is still working.

But: It’s slower, gets easily stuck, and sometimes the box is even restaring.

Liked the other Youtub app. much better.

So please, upgrade it in the next firmware release.

Best regards,

Ove Onarheim

Norway

It sounds like u have memory leakage slowing/breaking Leanback. Do a hard reboot (5s long press of power off button) to do a total restart of system. Other apps also leak, including a system Library compilation (if u have Media Library on).

As for a fix, join the queue! We all want one but WD seem to have done a last release and abandoned us with a very damaged last firmware.