New "Grid" Feature?

Any docs on how to use this feature?  All I can get to show on it is services.

Thanks

Same question here. There does not appear to be a way to add to the grid. The grid showed up with Netflix, YouTube and TuneIn. I can delete icons but not add them. How does this an update like this get past QA?

You can add anything you want to the Grid by going to “Services”  (The “bell” icon at the very top) and picking what you want.

Press OPTIONS, ADD TO HOME SCREEN.

Where are you guys seeing the new release notes?  It still shows the previous ones for me?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

You can add anything you want to the Grid by going to “Services”  (The “bell” icon at the very top) and picking what you want.

Press OPTIONS, ADD TO HOME SCREEN.

Right, but that limits you to adding Services. Supposing that you wanted to access your media server, you’d be out of luck.

That said, I think I figured out the (ridiculous) workaround. Anything you mark as a Favourite will be added to the home “grid” screen. So, for example, browse your media server, select the “Movies” folder (or what have you), click Options and mark as a favourite. Now it will show up in the grid. The catch? You cannot browse to the media server from the grid interface, so you have to change back to Mochi, mark your favourites, then change back again to the grid interface. It works, but talk about a kludge.

cncb2 wrote:

Where are you guys seeing the new release notes?  It still shows the previous ones for me?

See other thread:  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Release-notes-for-2-02-32/td-p/778181

Actually one of the “Services” is the generic “Videos”  button so you can add that to the home grid to be able to browse like before.

The services have been expanded to include ‘Videos’, ‘Music’, ‘Photos’ and a few others including the Live TV options, Games and News Feeds.  Just find them and press options and add to home screen.

I quite like the new Grid theme as all I really want is Netflix, Videos and Music.  Now that’s all I see when I start it up.

1 Like

rburnard wrote:

The services have been expanded to include ‘Videos’, ‘Music’, ‘Photos’ and a few others…

Correct.   All the original “tabs” are now in the services listing.

Thanks for the help everyone.  Much appreciated.  I too like the grid theme idea.

At first use I quite like it too, I only use my SMP for music (mainly), photos (a bit) and video (rarely), switch it on and they’re all there for me. Nice to see WD doing something good for once. 

I use the Dutch language version. I’ve installed the new frimware, after which I saw a note explaining I could use this new feature. However, I can only see the following three choices after pressing the options button:

• Favourite (Favoriet)

• Automatically play at start-up (Automatisch afspelen bij opstarten)

• Installation parental control (Installatie oudercontrole)

Am I missing something?

Rogier

Try marking it as a favourite.

You can also mark any folder as a favorite and it will appear in the grid, be it from the Network or Media Server or My Media

But the dummy apps Music, Photos and Video are only under the “All” category. Not under individual categories. Like the Download app u use to turn on this new download/bitorrent malarky.

I missed them all as I scanned under the app subcategories. Only when I looked at example Grid display when picking it as a theme, did I see Videos app so I hunted it down. Did someone with a Dungeons and Dragons fixation design this UI, they do love hiding stuff from minimalistic release notes to labyrinthine UIs: pick up gold axe, knock 3 times and enable  P2P, which means Bittorrent apparently! :confounded:

It seems to work the same way as “add to favourites” did under the mochi theme. When browsing using the media library or shares you can press options and select “add shortcut” to media and/or folders…

Well not quite, the old favourites mechanism is still there but adding these dummy apps of Music/Photos/Video, is all new stuff and well hidden!