New problem for the SMP newbie

I finally got my SMP to see my external HDD.  Ends up it was because the HDD was formatted in ExFat32.    

I see my files however when I went to try to play them I see video but there is no audio.

I did a firmware update this morning so I don’t need to do that.

I have checked the Audio in Setup.  I have the SMP attached to my Samsung TV using HDMI so I have selected "Digital Pass-Through via HDMI Only|Auto Detect. 

A bit more information that might be of help.  These files that are giving me troubles are tivo recordings that have been decoded using kmttg.  The video and audio work just fine on my Mac.

I tried a couple of other movie files on the SMP.  The movie audio and video work just fine on the SMP.

It appears that just the files that were run through kmttg are the ones that are having audio problems BUT only on the SMP.

Skimmed through the archives and so far I find nothing that helps me. Any suggestions on what I am missing??

Nosteele wrote:

I have checked the Audio in Setup.  I have the SMP attached to my Samsung TV using HDMI so I have selected "Digital Pass-Through via HDMI Only|Auto Detect. 

You need to set the Audio to “Stereo”

Stereo?  I had set it up Digital Pass-Through via HDMI Only|Auto Detect. after reading the manual.

-If you are using an S/PDIF (optical) or HDMI connection, the Digital setting should be enabled.

Unfortunately changing it to Stereo did not solve the problem.  :cry:

Nosteele wrote:

… These files that are giving me troubles are tivo recordings that have been decoded using kmttg.   

Well, keep in mind that kmttg doesn’t actuall do ANY “decoding” at all.   All of its tasks are done by outboard programs depending on how you have kmttg configured.

For example, my kmttg installation uses handbrake for transcoding to an Apple profile.

Please post the full TEXT output of MEDIAINFO for one of your kmttg’d files.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

Tony, thanks for your reply. I think this is what you are requesting.  Sorry, I cannot seem to get this to post in the format of the text output instead of being all smashed together.

General Complete name : /Users/nostink/Desktop/Tivo Out/Inside the Actors Studio - Bruce Dern and Laura Dern (12_26_2013).mpg Format : MPEG-PS File size : 686 MiB Duration : 1h 0mn Overall bit rate mode : Variable Overall bit rate : 1 599 Kbps Video ID : 224 (0xE0) Format : MPEG Video Format version : Version 2 Format profile : Main@Main Format settings, BVOP : Yes Format settings, Matrix : Default Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15 Duration : 59mn 59s Bit rate mode : Variable Bit rate : 1 311 Kbps Maximum bit rate : 9 200 Kbps Width : 352 pixels Height : 480 pixels Display aspect ratio : 4:3 Frame rate : 29.970 fps Standard : NTSC Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Interlaced Scan order : Top Field First Compression mode : Lossy Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.259 Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:09 Time code source : Group of pictures header Stream size : 563 MiB (82%) Color primaries : BT.601 PAL Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B, BT.470 System G Matrix coefficients : FCC 73.682 Audio ID : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80) Format : AC-3 Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 Mode extension : CM (complete main) Format settings, Endianness : Big Muxing mode : DVD-Video Duration : 1h 0mn Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 256 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : Front: L R Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Bit depth : 16 bits Compression mode : Lossy Delay relative to video : 29ms Stream size : 110 MiB (16%) Text ID : 224 (0xE0)-CC1 Format : EIA-608 Muxing mode : A/53 / DTVCC Transport Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1 Bit rate mode : Constant Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)

I thought I would post this with hopes that this will make this thread active again so that Tony or someone else can take a look at the log that Tony requested and see if I can get further assistance in troubleshooting my problem.

For sale, one barely used WD TV Live SMP.  Just about to give up and sell to someone for $1 and a peanut butter sandwich!  :confounded:

Try running one of your MPEG files thru Handbrake.   Live TV video streams are a bit dodgy because the format can change at a moment’s notice midstream.  If it works, then you can set kmttg to do it automatically.

I’ll take it…do you want crunchy or creamy?  :smiley:

Hey Tony, big thank you for your suggestion.

I did run the MPEG through Handbrake but did not have any success.  Just for grins I set kmttg to run it through Handbrake and voila! Success!  I felt like Alexander Graham Bell when he first heard sound coming through the telephone for the first time.  

Not exactly sure why I did not have success running it directly through Handbrake other than it was a user problem since I really do not understand what I am doing.  :C )  

So that it might be of help to others that have the same question this is what worked form me – using kmttg I set it up to decrypt and encode using hb_tivo_sd setting.  That was my magic formula that worked for me.  

Thank you so much for leading me in the right direction.

Sorry fhall, creamy would have been my preference but the price has inflated to normal retail since I finally got it working thanks to the assistance from Tony!   :smiley: