New WDTV Live owner, with NAS problems

Hi all, after doing some research over on avforums, I decided to get myself a WDTV Live box to replace my ACRyan POHD, which has never quite worked right. Its arrived, but I’m having a problem getting content into the media library and I thought the great and the good over here might know what I’m doing wrong.

I’ve got a ReadyNAS server, with ReadyDNLA running, hardwired into the network that the WDTV is on. I can browse the content and play back items from the NAS if I go to Videos and then manually pick a folder, so I know that the WDTV can find and play stuff from the server. However, I don’t seem able to add the content to the media library. If I go to Setup/System/Media Library/Media Library Manager for Network Share, I can’t see the ReadyNAS to add content. I can see other computers on the network though. 

If I try and access the Media Library I get the message “Dashboard Unavailable, please connect to a content source with media library enabled”. 

I’ve made sure I’m running the most recent firmware. I’ve also read through the PDF manual and searched the web but I can’t find how to get my NAS content appearing in the ML. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but I can’t work out what it is. Can anyone help me get the box up and running properly?

You may try resetting your SMP by holding its reset button for 1 second.  You may also check if it is updated to its latest firmware.

RobPC wrote:

Hi all, after doing some research over on avforums, I decided to get myself a WDTV Live box to replace my ACRyan POHD, which has never quite worked right. Its arrived, but I’m having a problem getting content into the media library and I thought the great and the good over here might know what I’m doing wrong.

I’ve got a ReadyNAS server, with ReadyDNLA running, hardwired into the network that the WDTV is on. I can browse the content and play back items from the NAS if I go to Videos and then manually pick a folder, so I know that the WDTV can find and play stuff from the server. However, I don’t seem able to add the content to the media library. If I go to Setup/System/Media Library/Media Library Manager for Network Share, I can’t see the ReadyNAS to add content. I can see other computers on the network though. 

If I try and access the Media Library I get the message “Dashboard Unavailable, please connect to a content source with media library enabled”. 

I’ve made sure I’m running the most recent firmware. I’ve also read through the PDF manual and searched the web but I can’t find how to get my NAS content appearing in the ML. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but I can’t work out what it is. Can anyone help me get the box up and running properly?

Just to clarify; the SMP can see the NAS shares if you go to location > Network shares > Windows shares?

But if you go to setup the Media Library Manager can’t see the NAS shares?

Try shutting down the SMP completely by holding the power down for >5 sec. If you still can’t see the NAS shares in the Media Library Manager, go to the share from Network Share > Windows Share, press option and pick add to Media Library. You may have to shutdown completely and wait for the Media Library to finish compiling for the files to show up. Let us know if that works.