New WD TV user - VOB issues

Hi - I’m a new WDTV Live owner and have spent the last few hours trying to set up my WD to perform as well as my old AppleTV1 with XBMC did.

At first I was having a strange stuttering of the video however after changing the HDMI resolution to 1080p 50Hz this fixed that problem.

I am using a WD NAS drive to store all my media and it is in a variety of formats as my technique and technology evolved over the years.  So I have .MKV, .mp4, .m4v, .avi which all seem to be working OK .

However if I try to play the VOB files (just selecting the parent folder obviously not the individual files) I get very choppy playback with missing audio and degradation of picture.These files played perfectly on my ATV.

My NAS is plugged directly into my router and the WDTV is connected using Ethernet cable running via powerline adapters and an ethernet hub.

Has anyone else seen this sort of problem before?  I’m not sure if it is the file size causing the issue but as I say it never effected my AppleTV.

Any help would be gratefully received as otherwise this is getting returned to Amazon!

Thanks

If you press PLAY on the VIDEO_TS folder, everything should be fine. If not, ISOs usually do the trick.

OK so by changing the settings for video and setting the DVD menu option to off the files now play seamlessly - but with one major problem:

The main audio track will not play.  I can use the audio button on the remote to change to alternative tracks which all seem to work but have commentary or spoken elements for on scren text.

I’ve ;looked at the other forum items and one similar thread was resolved by the user implemeting firmware beta 1.14 or somethng.  i am on firmware version 2.0 somthing so this seems no longer applicable.

Can anyone help - I dont understand why a media player that says it supports so many formats can be so difficult to set up to play those formats.  Whatever happened to plug and play like it says in the marketing.

Its a shame because this is a more elegant solution than a cracked apple tv running XBMC which I used before but at least that played all formats - as advertised… 

So after the deafening resonse…  I have decided to abandon vob completely.

For anyone interested I am using Handbrake to create .mkv files as i’ve used this for years to rip ipad / iphone friendly files.  I’m also trialing makemkv but this only seems to rip at maximum quality and file size.

In my opinion wd tv does not work with vob files.

Well, it does for my VOBs, I also get the first audio track. Still, MKV will do fine as will ISO.

Try converting your vob files to a mp4 fomat and then check if it works.

http://www.appgeeker.com/how-to/convert-vob-to-mp4-mac.html

It is what I use. has never failed me.

Why should he use mp4 when he can keep his bitmap subs in ISO and MKV?