New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

If you experience any issues with this firmware, please report them in the WD TV Live Streaming Issue Reporting exchange.

For questions or sharing your experience, you can post in this thread here.

4 Likes

New firmware is out but they noticed the autoupdate path was broken so your going to have to grab it from here and flash off of usb if you can’t wait :slight_smile:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

Wow! Great News :slight_smile:

Fixes and new fuctions like: “Supports DTS-HD Master Audio pass-through.”

ok, I’m completely floored,

• Supports DTS-HD Master Audio pass-through.

Yeah this is a major update.

Its likely best to do a fresh install by reseting the device to aviod any possiable wierdness from left over junk.

Wd been listening to what the users want it just took some time getting there.

Oh no! I’m a vet and should have known better. The updates downloaded and installed 1/1 then 2/2. I then got an error message “incomplete firmware update”. Now I can’t start netflix without the box rebooting :( 

Manual update isn’t working. I guess I should see if I can roll the firmware back?

1 Like

I also had the same problem where it failed during the 2nd update.  I can’t seem to get it to update via a flash drive either.  It simply won’t detect the files.  

Anybody have any suggestions what I should try?

I updated, but now when I reboot it attempts to finish the update and it says:

“Connecting to the internet to perform firmware upgrade.” with a progress bar that says 0% (2/2)

Then, I get the error: 

“Incompete firmware upgrade. Please check your network settings and restart teh WD TV to try again. You can also use a USB derive to somplete the upgrade manually.”

I’ve tried updating again, but it says I’m already up to date. The version does say it’s 2.01.86. The network is working without issue.

From what I can tell everything does seem to be working fine otherwise.

snoissea wrote:

From what I can tell everything does seem to be working fine otherwise.

Have you tried using Netflix yet?

for those of you who don’t know how to manage or force a USB update

it’s probably a good idea to wait on this till WD makes an official post here on forum with instructions

in general if the firmware available for download, you can bet WD open up a thread pretty quickly

unless there is a known issue, in which case you probably don’t want the update anyways

same problem here too

Mine updated the 2 files without any problem.

Did you remember to EJECT your USB pen from the PC after copying the FW ?

Maybe you could reformat the pen and copy the FW again and dont’ forget to EJECT.

There was a procedure to make WDTV think it had a new firmware, it is used to rollback to older firmware, but maybe you could apply it to the new firmware, it involves editing the version number to a high version number, in the FW file “wdtvlivegen3.ver”, using a text editor like notepad.

Search for it, I don’t want to give wrong instructions.

EDIT: If your are not confortable doing this, maybe it’s better to wait for WD support like KAD suggested, you could brick the player if you mess with the wrong files.

ElNacho wrote:

I also had the same problem where it failed during the 2nd update.  I can’t seem to get it to update via a flash drive either.  It simply won’t detect the files.  

Anybody have any suggestions what I should try?

Edit the version number in the ver file with notepad to say 2.01.87 and try the update again.

However you may want to wait until later tomorrow in case there is something wrong with the zip file online. 

How many files are there in the zip file.

I’m going to go ahead and assume that most people that are having trouble didn’t use the USB method to update.  At least I know I didn’t.  

As i mentioned the auto update is broke and they are aware of this but some slipped out before they noticed.

For those having problems roll back to 1.16 and then update to 2.0.1.86 from the usb.

Also for some reason the wd very picky about flash drives and seems much happer with portable drives.

If you still having issues try another drive or as mentioned wait tell the auto update is fixed.

Also everything does work including netflix :0

PS: the zip file is fine it was merely the autoupdate on thier end that got fubared.

Something new (at least to me), now we can add services to the remote buttons.

Setup → Operation → Remote Settings → Scroll down to keys 1 to 9 and add a service

For example, I configured the remote key “1” to run “YoutubeLeanBack”, when I press 1 on the remote, YoutubeLB runs.

BTW the “BACK” key no longer works to leave YouTubeLB, we need to use the “Home” key.

I remember this also happened in an older FW update and was reported as a bug…

Well, I rebooted it one more time and the upgrade completed! 

richUK wrote:

Edit the version number in the ver file with notepad to say 2.01.87 and try the update again.

I did this.  Now it appears I don’t have the option to connect wirelessly to the network.  

Sigh.  

ElNacho wrote:

richUK wrote:

I did this.  Now it appears I don’t have the option to connect wirelessly to the network.  

Sigh.  

Reset the player to factory defaults in the setup menu.

If that does not work then download the 1.16.13 rollback from the link below.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

Try to load the default Theme from WDTV setup and see if you can connect to the Wifi.