New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

Thanks Magnus!! That did the trick, I had done a factory reset before, but I think the router and Media server restart was the charm.  Excellent result, thank you.

No problem :slight_smile:

Exactely the same issue here, with Onkyo 626 through HDMI.> Forcing DTS / PCM audio on the Onkyo made no differencies.> This + the 200ms sync issue are driving me crazy.

hadesz wrote:

Same issue here, thanks for your help.

Robothief wrote:

SuperMario86 wrote:

Same situation here.

WD Live + Yamaha YHT-196. It can happen after 15 minutes or 1 hour after WD Live is turned on, and once it is happened one time, it does not happen again since a WD Live reboot.

Seems like the WD Live begins to lose the audio because just before the big “buzz” I can hear the audio going off for very short time, and then a big buzz can be heard. The only way is to change the source (for example switch to TV and then switch back to WD Live on the amplifier) or to stop the movie and then play it again.

Seems like that there is some trouble with the hdmi sync for the audio part. Happens with last fw and also with the previous one for me

This issue is under investigation. 

I hve been thinking of switch my Live out to a Roku just due to the fact is has more apps on it compaired to the Live. I am on the Fance casue i REALLY like my live. Do you know if you will be adding more app like the Roku has in the near future?

Please no flaming i am just aking

Wild guess no.

The smp is reach its end of life since its a few years old now.

Doesn’t mean its going to die but support likely now going to be a fix or two but no major updates i would think.

its hardware is getting long in the tooth compared to even the android tv sticks that have been out a year or two now.

My bedroom tv got a android stick plugged  into and does everything roku can and then some.

Don’t ever wait for features that might not come. If you need something supported now, get a device that has it.

As Magnuss33 said the SMP is a few years old now and  the hardware is getting long in the tooth but rather tellingly the “new” WD TV Media Player ( the “Live Streaming” in the name has been dropped) that has just been released has the same hardware as the SMP, so maybe it is the end of the line for this type of media player.

It seems the problem is still occuring, some avi’s not playing nor mp4’s - I convert them to another or same format and they play.  Otherwise, after about 5 minutes they stop playing. Odd

I think that you cannot abandon the support of a device that has the last fw buggy as **bleep**.

We do not want other features, we want a device fully working with the current features.

Did they play ok after the router and media storage were reset?

I think more of a change is happening with things getting away from this type of firmware/hardware.

More and more devices with android are popping up which are more powerful and cheaper to make.

Not to mention the user control of the firmware and ablity to mod is vastly improved.

My small MK802IV is both more powerful and more verstale then my wd smp.

With a modding comunty doing half the work on the firmware all the time and android apps already made in most cases for android the device becomes even cheaper to maintain.

Heck there two 4k capable devices i know of already.

No, I reset them as first option but they still stopped playing after about 5 minutes.  This appears to be an intermittant problem-still investigating…if it persists I will have to roll back the firmware.

After experiencing playback failure with 2 WD TV Live units I posted this note to the community last Thursday:  

" I have installed the Firmware Version 2.01.86. and find that I cannot play any media file (mkv, mp4, avi) longer than 5 minutes, at which point the playback halts and returns me to the WD Menu.  Rolled back the firmware 1.16.13I am running the WD TV Lives on my home WiFi network, with media stored onto WD MyBookLive 2TB.  Same issue for both"

Magnus 33 kindly responded with some suggestions which included resetting the WD TV Live boxes, reinstalling firmware 2.01.86 and then reseting/restarting the router and Mybook Live.  This appeared to work…for a day.  Then the same  playback failure issues came back, specifically, being unable to play any media file (avi,mkv, mp4…) for longer than 5 mnutes without the playback failing.  One “soluion” was to run the files through “Wondershare Media Converter” but that was more an annoyance than a fix.  I have since rolled back the firmware on both boxes to 1.16.13  and all is working perfectly.

I know there are those who have proposed all sorts of suggestions as to getting this firmware upgrade to work, but 36 pages of postings on this community board tells me that there are serious issues with 2.01.86  - Issues that can easily be overcome by using an earlier version of the firmware that worked for you.  Why WD have not issued an updated stable issue-free version is beyond me.  My suggestion to all the folks posting fixes and tricks re this upgrade is to roll back to the version that worked best for you and wait for a version that is stable and allows you to run WD TV Live the way it should.  A great piece of hardware let down by buggy software.

Spalding wrote:

I know there are those who have proposed all sorts of suggestions as to getting this firmware upgrade to work, but 36 pages of postings on this community board tells me that there are serious issues with 2.01.86  - Issues that can easily be overcome by using an earlier version of the firmware that worked for you.  Why WD have not issued an updated stable issue-free version is beyond me.

Because other people reported that a fallback on 1.16.13 did NOT fix their problems.

I just purchased a refurbished WD TV Live Streaming gen 3 last week.  I checked the firmware version on the box and it is at 1.14.09.  Based on what I am reading here I am not sure if I should upgrade my box to the latest firmware, but I don’t see where I can get any previous firmware releases.  Does anyone have any advice what I should do?

Update:  I found the firmware updates page here.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live

I am still needing advice about whether I should update my firmware, and to which version. 

What are you sing it for and what types of files are you going to be playing.

Magnus33 wrote:

What are you sing it for and what types of files are you going to be playing.

I’m not sure exactly.  Its the first device like this that I’ve bought,  and I chose it because of the large number of supported media formats and its ability to use a network server that I might set up later.  Right now I have some MPG, DIVX, MP4 and MKV videos.  I also like the idea of flashing WDLXTV on it later once I’m happy the WDLXTV firmware is stable.  Finally I probably would have just put together a Raspberry Pi to do all this, but I like having a remote control and maybe a Netflix subscription later on.  Seems like a pretty cool device that has lots of options.

I would say definitely update to the latest.

It boots up so much faster and detects and lists the files on my 1 TB external HD much quicker.

The Youtube app is still pretty sluggish compared to the PS3, but I’m guessing this is hardware related.   They look exactly the same and the PS3 clearly has much more resources to throw at this app.

I don’t remember seeing any boot speedup switching from 1.16.13 to 2.01.86. It still takes too long and it’s annyoing the network search can’t be turned off.

We’ve just release a new firmware update for the SMP.  This thread is now closed.

1 Like